RE: [XTalk] Re: Friends of Caesar

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
      Robert Brenchley said:

      >>Quite right, I believe Herod the Great was a member [of the "Friends
      of Caesar" club] (some recommendation!). Was Pilate? I don't have a
      copy of Suetonius to hand, but I seem to remember that Pilate was
      appointed by Sejanus, not personally by [Tiberius]. Or maybe my memory
      is playing tricks.>>

      He was so appointed, but as an Equestrian rank governor over a
      third-rate province, I doubt he was ever publicly assigned such an
      honor. If I am not mistaken, was not the title "friend of Caesar"
      something to be assigned to client kings and princes in the buffer
      states, and not to individual Romans? It would sort of be like
      "Favored Nation Status" for a nation that does business with the USA.
      What the author of the Gospel of John meant by this kind of phrase was
      anyone's guess, but I would think it was intended to have a sense sort
      of like Caesar's mythical speech "friends, Romans, countrymen..."

      Regards,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    • Lorna Wilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
        Robert,
        Dave,

        See Raymond Brown's commentary on 4G for explanation of phrase "friend of
        Caesar."

        Lorna Wilson

        Dave Hindley said:

        >He was so appointed, but as an Equestrian rank governor over a
        >third-rate province, I doubt he was ever publicly assigned such an
        >honor. If I am not mistaken, was not the title "friend of Caesar"
        >something to be assigned to client kings and princes in the buffer
        >states, and not to individual Romans? It would sort of be like
        >"Favored Nation Status" for a nation that does business with the USA.
        >What the author of the Gospel of John meant by this kind of phrase was
        >anyone's guess, but I would think it was intended to have a sense sort
        >of like Caesar's mythical speech "friends, Romans, countrymen..."

      • Richard Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
          Josephus has a brief discussion oh Herod as firend of caesar.
          Caesar said that one was safer being Herod's pig than Herod's son.
          Josephus records in Antiquities of the Jews, XVI, ix 3; Book 16, section 286
          that Augustus was furious with Herod in 8 BCE and threatened to treat him no
          longer as a friend (Client), but as a subject (subject to taxes). Josephus
          stated that Augustus wrote to Herod. The sum of his epistle was this, that
          whereas of old he had used him as his friend, he should now use him as his
          subject.
          Richard H. Anderson
          Wallingford PA
          http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke