Re: [XTalk] James and the Ebionites & Apologies

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
      First of all, apologies for sending a private message to the list.
      I think it's the first time I've ever done that, so I'm really
      annoyed with myself! I suppose I hadn't realised that Xtalk
      was set up so that the automatic reply goes to the list instead
      of the individual, but I still should have checked.

      Second, a brief comment:

      On 1 Dec 2000, at 15:32, Sakari Häkkinen wrote:

      > I know well Goulder's book and his writings on the topic
      > elsewhere. Indeed, in my dissertation I criticize him just
      > for building a theory on weak evidence (I have a whole
      > chapter on Goulder). One of the problems of Goulder's book
      > is that he does not use footnotes. It would be fair to
      > express what are the sources.

      Well, Goulder is in good company here! His mentor Austin
      Farrer was also criticized for not using footnotes in his work.
      But in the case of _A Tale of Two Missions_ (_St Paul vs St
      Peter_ in the U.S.), it seems to have been a self-conscious
      decision to publish a popular-level book before writing the
      more serious, academic defences. Many of the theories in
      _Tale of Two Missions_ have, as you know, now appeared in
      various articles in journals and Festschrifts and Goulder has a
      monograph on 1 and 2 Corinthians, focusing on the Paul v.
      Peter thesis, published soon by Hendrickson's -- he is
      currently working through the proofs.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      Homepage
      http://www.ntgateway.com