RE: [XTalk] two Bethlehems?

  • Malcolm Clark
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2000
      Below my "signature" I have pasted in the summary of Chilton's book from
      the most recent email from Dove Books which I received today.

      W. Malcolm Clark, Professor of Religion
      Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies JH 202D
      Butler University Indianapolis, IN 46208
      E-mail: wclark@... phone: 317-940-9364

      Rabbi Jesus: An Intimate Biography
      Bruce Chilton
      Doubleday Hardcover $25.00 $18.99

      Chilton draws on recent archaeological findings to paint a vivid portrait
      of the social customs, political forces, and religious beliefs and
      practices of the period. Examining new translations and interpretations
      of ancient texts against this fresh, historically accurate background, he
      offers a revolutionary look at Jesus' early life and the philosophical
      and psychological foundations of the ideas he promulgated as a young man.
      Chilton provides evidence that contradicts long-held beliefs about Jesus
      and the movement that he led. He shows, for example, that Jesus was born
      in Bethlehem of Galilee, not Nazareth or Bethlehem of Judea, and that the
      High Priest Caiaphas, not Pontius Pilate, played the central role in
      Jesus' execution. It is his description of Jesus' role as a rabbi, or
      'master,' of Jewish oral traditions, a teacher
      of the Kabbalah, and a practioner of a Galilean form of Judaism that
      emphasized direct communication with God, however, that casts an entirely
      new light on the origins of Christianity. By placing Jesus within the
      context of his times, Chilton uncovers truths lost to history and reveals
      a new Jesus for the new millennium.

      (end of quoted/pasted excerpt from Dove Books. The second price at the
      start of the excerpt is Dove's price).
    • Russ Conte
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 16, 2000
        I searched through some primary historical and archaeological evidence,
        and found none in favor of Bethlehem in Galilee as the birthplace of
        Jesus. Am I missing the obvious, does anyone have any primary evidence
        in favor of this interpretation, or is this just a theory in search of
        proof?

        Thanks,

        Russ Conte