RE: [XTalk] two Bethlehems?

  • Williams, Ritva
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2000
      You've given me a place to begin searching. Thanks.

      Ritva H. Williams
      Assistant Professor, New Testament
      Dept. of Religion, Old Main 123
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2000
        Below my "signature" I have pasted in the summary of Chilton's book from
        the most recent email from Dove Books which I received today.

        W. Malcolm Clark, Professor of Religion
        Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies JH 202D
        Butler University Indianapolis, IN 46208
        E-mail: wclark@... phone: 317-940-9364

        Rabbi Jesus: An Intimate Biography
        Bruce Chilton
        Doubleday Hardcover $25.00 $18.99

        Chilton draws on recent archaeological findings to paint a vivid portrait
        of the social customs, political forces, and religious beliefs and
        practices of the period. Examining new translations and interpretations
        of ancient texts against this fresh, historically accurate background, he
        offers a revolutionary look at Jesus' early life and the philosophical
        and psychological foundations of the ideas he promulgated as a young man.
        Chilton provides evidence that contradicts long-held beliefs about Jesus
        and the movement that he led. He shows, for example, that Jesus was born
        in Bethlehem of Galilee, not Nazareth or Bethlehem of Judea, and that the
        High Priest Caiaphas, not Pontius Pilate, played the central role in
        Jesus' execution. It is his description of Jesus' role as a rabbi, or
        'master,' of Jewish oral traditions, a teacher
        of the Kabbalah, and a practioner of a Galilean form of Judaism that
        emphasized direct communication with God, however, that casts an entirely
        new light on the origins of Christianity. By placing Jesus within the
        context of his times, Chilton uncovers truths lost to history and reveals
        a new Jesus for the new millennium.

        (end of quoted/pasted excerpt from Dove Books. The second price at the
        start of the excerpt is Dove's price).
      • Russ Conte
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 16, 2000
          I searched through some primary historical and archaeological evidence,
          and found none in favor of Bethlehem in Galilee as the birthplace of
          Jesus. Am I missing the obvious, does anyone have any primary evidence
          in favor of this interpretation, or is this just a theory in search of
          proof?

          Thanks,

          Russ Conte