two Bethlehems?

  • Williams, Ritva
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2000
      Hi,

      Recently I was asked if the putative location of Jesus' birth might be
      Bethlehem in Galilee rather than Bethlehem in Judea. Never having come
      across such a notion, I was unable to answer. Is anyone aware of this
      theory? Does anyone know if there may have been two Bethlehems?

      Ritva H. Williams
      Assistant Professor, New Testament
      Dept. of Religion, Augustana College
      639-38th St., Rock Island, IL 61201
      Phone: 309-794-396

    • Sukie Curtis
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2000
        I just read a brief synopsis/advertisement of Bruce Chilton's just-published
        book, which makes this claim, among several others (such as that Caiaphas
        was more instrumental in the death of Jesus than was Pilate). I'm afraid I
        don't remember the exact title of the book, _Rabbi Jesus_ or _Jesus, the
        Rabbi_. Nor do I know anything about the two Bethlehems myself.

        Sukie Curtis
        Cumberland Foreside, Maine

      • Williams, Ritva
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2000
          You've given me a place to begin searching. Thanks.

          Ritva H. Williams
          Assistant Professor, New Testament
          Dept. of Religion, Old Main 123

          crosstalk2-subscribe@egroups.com

          > To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:
          >
          > List managers may be contacted directly at:
          crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com

          List managers may be contacted directly at:
          crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com

        • Malcolm Clark
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2000
            Below my "signature" I have pasted in the summary of Chilton's book from
            the most recent email from Dove Books which I received today.

            W. Malcolm Clark, Professor of Religion
            Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies JH 202D
            Butler University Indianapolis, IN 46208
            E-mail: wclark@... phone: 317-940-9364

            Rabbi Jesus: An Intimate Biography
            Bruce Chilton
            Doubleday Hardcover $25.00 $18.99

            Chilton draws on recent archaeological findings to paint a vivid portrait
            of the social customs, political forces, and religious beliefs and
            practices of the period. Examining new translations and interpretations
            of ancient texts against this fresh, historically accurate background, he
            offers a revolutionary look at Jesus' early life and the philosophical
            and psychological foundations of the ideas he promulgated as a young man.
            Chilton provides evidence that contradicts long-held beliefs about Jesus
            and the movement that he led. He shows, for example, that Jesus was born
            in Bethlehem of Galilee, not Nazareth or Bethlehem of Judea, and that the
            High Priest Caiaphas, not Pontius Pilate, played the central role in
            Jesus' execution. It is his description of Jesus' role as a rabbi, or
            'master,' of Jewish oral traditions, a teacher
            of the Kabbalah, and a practioner of a Galilean form of Judaism that
            emphasized direct communication with God, however, that casts an entirely
            new light on the origins of Christianity. By placing Jesus within the
            context of his times, Chilton uncovers truths lost to history and reveals
            a new Jesus for the new millennium.

            (end of quoted/pasted excerpt from Dove Books. The second price at the
            start of the excerpt is Dove's price).
          • Russ Conte
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 16, 2000
              I searched through some primary historical and archaeological evidence,
              and found none in favor of Bethlehem in Galilee as the birthplace of
              Jesus. Am I missing the obvious, does anyone have any primary evidence
              in favor of this interpretation, or is this just a theory in search of
              proof?

              Thanks,

              Russ Conte