Re: [[Synoptic-L] Re: [XTalk] Conclusion to Jesus Quest]

  • Eric Laupot
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2000
      Stephen Goranson <goranson@...> wrote:
      Statistics are irrelevant in this case, as the text
      under discussion does not use the word about which
      the article speculates.

      best,
      Stephen Goranson
      goranson@...

      ---- The reality of this word, "netser," can be
      inferred from the existence of two other words
      the article does discuss ("stirps" and "Christiani").
      Inferrence and statistics are generally valid methods
      of discovering the existence of something. That's how
      the atom was discovered in the 1890's. Atoms weren't
      actually observed until the invention
      of the electron microscope in the 1930's. The planet
      Pluto was also first discovered by means of statistical
      inference. The view of statistics you articulate is
      overly narrow.

      Eric Laupot

      >Dear Listmembers,
      >
      >I would like to apologize for my tone in the recent
      >discussion. I see now that the reason Listmembers
      >have become so frustrated is that they have been
      >arguing past each other and failing to address
      >the central issue in my paper, that is to say,
      >my statistical argument. This statistical method
      >needs to be understood clearly before the paper can
      >be assessed. If anyone would like to discuss this
      >method with me, please feel free to contact me
      >on list or off, or, alternatively, call me at
      >home at (212) 744-9450.
      >

      >Eric Laupot

      Best,

      Eric Laupot