chronological order and Pilate

  • maille patrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2000
      Can someone tell me the sequential order of Pilate's
      actions in Josephus (the shields in the Temple and the
      aquaduct project with Temple funds) and the Gospels.
      I am curious as to which occurred first and how the
      order is determined.

      Thanks in advance.

      Patrick Maille
      Texas Tech University

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/
    • Richard Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2000
        Patrick Maille, greetings.
        I am doing research on sabbatical years and recently read something on the
        subject which I copied for my notes.
        I am quoting Nikos Kokkinos who writes: Hoehner admits that the incident of
        the shields could have taken place at any time between 32 and 36; although
        he would have preferred a later date [Hoehner, Herod Antipas, 180] he
        settles for 32 since he places the Crucifixion in 33. Yet Pilate set up the
        shields in honor of Tiberius, who was celebrating his 75th birthday in 33. .
        . .
        Nikos Kokkinos further writes: In Egesippus, the Latin version of Josephus's
        works, the Crucifixion of Jesus follows the uprising of the Samaritan
        prophet, but in the Greek version of Antiquities the crucifixion preceded
        this uprising (18:63-64; cf. 85-87). That the two events occurred close
        together in the year 36 may explain Egesippus's confused chronological
        arrangement. Additionally, the Crucifixion in Ant. immediately follows the
        episode of Pilate's aqueduct (18:63-64; cf. 6-62), but is represented in the
        Jewish Wars as prior to the time of Agrippa I's journey to Rome in 36
        (2:175-77; cf. 178).
        footnotes omitted, "Crucifixion in A.D. 36" in Chronos, Kairos, Christos
        (1989).
        Richard H. Anderson
        Wallingford PA
        http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke