Re: [XTalk] Digest Number 154

  • Rain Simar
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9 9:27 AM
      I was wondering if any of you have worked with Geographic Information
      Systems. I would be very interested in putting some of the spatial and
      temporal data of this time period and location into a geo info system. I
      was a comparative religions student here at UC Berkeley, with an emphasis
      on Gnosticism, and now I work in the GIS Center here on campus, so my
      interests in religion have taken on a new dimension.

      There is an international group that is centered here on the UCB campus
      called ECAI (Electronic Cultural Atlas Initiative) whose mission it is to
      create and maintain a database of information gathered from various
      sources, and make that data available for use in mapping both spatially and
      temporally. I have recently been working with this group. They have a lot
      of data from ancient China, but as far as I've seen, little data from the
      period of early Christianity - both temporally and spatially.

      Particular projects that I am interested in are the conquests of Alexander
      the Great, and how those events set the stage for the emergence of
      Christianity. And of course, I'm interested in mapping the rise and fall
      of various Gnostic sects - the Valentinians being a favorite. If anyone is
      interested in these or other related projects, or if anyone would like to
      contribute data to any cultural project, please email me at
      rsimar@....

      Thanks
      Rain