Re: [XTalk] Warning on the direction of the thread: historicity of Jesus

  • Corey W. Liknes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
      Friends,

      I'm sorry I missed all the fun! (NOT!)

      I wonder if there may have been more evidence for the mere existence of
      Jesus in the earliest centuries which have now been lost to us. For example
      Justin Martyr in his "First Apology" makes reference to a document he calls
      the "Acts" of Pontius Pilate. Since Justin (writing around 150 AD) was
      writing to the then Emperor he might have assumed that the Emperor (the name
      of whom I have forgotten -- but can get for you, along with Justin's quote)
      had access to the "Acts" -- otherwise he would not have made reference to
      it. If I recall correctly Christians in the 4th century had already lost the
      "Acts" and so created a forgery. It must have bothered them too that the
      evidence for Jesus existence was so scant!

      I may be mistaken, but is it not true that very few documents exist from the
      30's and 40's of the 1st century? I daresay it would be impossible to prove
      the existence of nearly anyone from that period (except those who had
      monuments built to themselves). I think most of the historians on this list
      accept a priori the existence of a man either named "Jesus" (which would not
      have been an uncommon name), or a man around whom the Jesus "legend" was
      created. Perhaps this in itself indicates that there is more "faith" here
      than one might expect!

      To hearken back to one of my earlier postings: if Jesus is just a
      "midrashic" creation, or a legend, who would he have appealed to? Perhaps
      the fact that the 'story of Jesus' is not designed to be all that appealing
      to any major group in 1st century society is evidence that it centers around
      an existant being.

      Cheers,

      Corey Liknes
      Arts and Sciences Department