Re: [XTalk] Warning on the direction of the thread: historicity of Jesus

  • Leon Albert
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2000
      Jeffrey:

      Ok, sorry

      Leon
    • Corey W. Liknes
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
        Friends,

        I'm sorry I missed all the fun! (NOT!)

        I wonder if there may have been more evidence for the mere existence of
        Jesus in the earliest centuries which have now been lost to us. For example
        Justin Martyr in his "First Apology" makes reference to a document he calls
        the "Acts" of Pontius Pilate. Since Justin (writing around 150 AD) was
        writing to the then Emperor he might have assumed that the Emperor (the name
        of whom I have forgotten -- but can get for you, along with Justin's quote)
        had access to the "Acts" -- otherwise he would not have made reference to
        it. If I recall correctly Christians in the 4th century had already lost the
        "Acts" and so created a forgery. It must have bothered them too that the
        evidence for Jesus existence was so scant!

        I may be mistaken, but is it not true that very few documents exist from the
        30's and 40's of the 1st century? I daresay it would be impossible to prove
        the existence of nearly anyone from that period (except those who had
        monuments built to themselves). I think most of the historians on this list
        accept a priori the existence of a man either named "Jesus" (which would not
        have been an uncommon name), or a man around whom the Jesus "legend" was
        created. Perhaps this in itself indicates that there is more "faith" here
        than one might expect!

        To hearken back to one of my earlier postings: if Jesus is just a
        "midrashic" creation, or a legend, who would he have appealed to? Perhaps
        the fact that the 'story of Jesus' is not designed to be all that appealing
        to any major group in 1st century society is evidence that it centers around
        an existant being.

        Cheers,

        Corey Liknes
        Arts and Sciences Department