Warning on the direction of the thread: historicity of Jesus

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2000
      Leon Albert wrote:

      > OK, Jim, let's play,

      [much snipped]

      Oh, let's not. That is to say, the tone of this exchange has turned decidedly
      sour. So unless some civility can be injected into it, I must ask both
      parties, Jim and Leon, to take their exchange OFF LIST.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
        At 8:00 PM -0500 10/2/00, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        >Leon Albert wrote:
        >
        >> OK, Jim, let's play,
        >>

        >[much snipped]
        >
        >Oh, let's not. That is to say, the tone of this exchange has turned decidedly
        >sour. So unless some civility can be injected into it, I must ask both
        >parties, Jim and Leon, to take their exchange OFF LIST.
        >
        >Yours,
        >
        >Jeffrey Gibson

        As an uninolved "lurker" I would say that the sourness in this exchange is
        entirely in the messages of Jim.

        Frankly, I, too, would like to hear/read an answer to Leon's first -
        politely stated - question. What is the evidence for the existence of the
        historical Jesus (aside from the contested Josephus passage)? If this
        ground has been covered before, why not just say so, courteously, and point
        Leon to the archive? Is this discussion group about the historical Jesus or
        about scholarly dissection of the NT? Not that there isn't a relationship.

        Susan

        Susan Rennie Ph.D. Ph: 310.301.6017
        Professor, The Graduate Program Fax: 310.301.8175
        Vermont College of Norwich University
        <mailto:rennies@...>
        <mailto: srennie@...>
        http://home.earthlink.net/~rennies