Re: [XTalk] Jesus and Greek

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2000
      From: "Corey W. Liknes" <cwliknes@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@egroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 4:59 AM
      Subject: [XTalk] Jesus and Greek

      > I remember reading somewhere (I think in Marcus Borg, but I cannot find
      > citation now), that historians are beginning to speculate that Jesus may
      > have been bilingual. The suggestion was that Galillee was much more
      > cosmopolitan than we sometimes imagine, and it is entirely possible that
      > Jesus (if he in fact existed *grin*) may have known and preached in Greek
      > well as Aramaic (and Hebrew too?).
      > What have the scholars decided about this issue? What evidence supports
      > possibility? What are the implications?

      Despite linguistic chauvinism by Hebraists and Graecists, the only real
      of a spoken lingua franca for Jesus is Aramaic. This coincides with
      evidence of
      Aramaic as the spoken LF of the economic underclass that was his audience.

      That Caesarea, Sepphoris, etc were cosmopolitan and Hellenistic cities bears
      no reflection on smaller rural communities.

      Jesus was a b right guy, after all, and I would be surprised if he had no
      at all in the language of commerce so widely used around him. I doubt he
      with Pilatus in Aramaic. Bilingual? probably...but my take is he taught and
      in his own language.

      Jack Kilmon
      North Hollywood, Ca.

      sharing a meal for free.