RE: [XTalk] Spong

  • Robert J McElwain
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2000
      Hi David,

      Message text written by INTERNET:crosstalk2@egroups.com : David Hindley
      >I haven't read him either, but in my experience he sure does seem to
      get the attention of many average "mainline" church laypersons (as we
      call Episcopalians, Methodists, Lutherans and Presbyterians here in
      the USA). I know a half dozen persons who talk about him incessantly.>

      Guilty as charged. <S> And your comments, along with others, concerning
      Bishop Spong's written scholarship are fair. He doesn't write heavy
      scholarly tomes. He doesn't try to. Remember, he is a priest. He's spent
      his life preaching to the folks in the pews. Not writing scholarly
      missives to university professors of religion. If one wants heavy
      scholarship, their are tons of books out there covering the same subjects
      as Spong does, only they do it with three times as many words as Spong.
      Since Spong is writing to the main street Christians, he can't do that.

      However, as a popular writer of Christian ideas, he is extremely
      successful. I've talked with the man numerous times, and, as someone
      else mentioned here, he's an extremely engaging, delightful and spiritual
      person.

      Blessings,

      Bob
      Robert J. McElwain