Re: [XTalk] Spong?

  • Andrew Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2000
      on 9/27/00 2:49 PM, Bob Schacht at r_schacht@... wrote:

      > So here's my question: Which is the best book of Spong's to read (from the
      > perspective of the interests and purposes of this list)?
      >
      > Bob

      I've read Liberating the Gospels" which is his popularisation of Goulder's
      lectionary theory. Spong can be extraordinarily repetitive and his main
      motive seems to be political correctness. He states without arguing or
      examining his hypotheses and at the beginning of the book I seem to remember
      a basic mistake in which Jairus is described as a gentile! The introduction
      is very sentimental: he describes his relationship with Michael Goulder and
      how he hopes that he can lure Goulder back into the faith with this book.

      It's quite unreliable and irritating, but Goulder's own writings on the
      subject are difficult to find. So I might even recommend this book, as long
      as you're prepared to check his every statement.

      Andrew Smith