The significance of a three year ministry

  • Daniel Grolin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2000
      Dear X-Talkers,

      Last Thursday I argued (and no one objected) that Jesus' ministry went on
      for three years, or that at least Jesus was in Jerusalem three times
      during his ministry.

      Now at the methodology seminar Crossan, wrote something to the effect that
      he wasn't sure whether it was one or three years, nor did he find it to be
      a significant issue. I can understand that from Crossan's perspective it
      may not be that important, however, if we look at Sanders HJ doesn't two
      uneventful trips to Jerusalem represent a problem? If we assume that the
      main point of Jesus' message was the apocalyptic end of the temple, why
      should Jesus wait until the third time in Jerusalem to proclaim it? Wasn't
      Jesus then waisting his time in between those three visits?

      Horsley and Hanson (sorry I don't have the volume at hand) mention one
      oracle prophet who came to Jerusalem to prophecy its doom. He was
      punished, but stayed and continued to pronounce Jerusalems doom until it
      came true.

      So my question is: If Jesus was primarily an oracle prophet, what was he
      doing in his three year ministry?

      [For those who wish to reread my argument for a three year ministry see
      below]

      Regards,

      Daniel