Re: [XTalk] Principle of Coherence

  • forrest curo
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
      >(2) in recent posts you often seem to be saying that you know what that
      >coherence is (without showing us how you arrived at this knowledge.) If
      >this later is true, then I would request that you share with us this
      >coherent vision of the Gospel, that we may test it against the available
      >evidence.
      >
      >I wonder if you would be willing to apply your principle of coherence to
      >the Gospel of Thomas, and let us know what coherent themes you find there.

      This will require considerable thought & searching, so please be patient.

      Meanwhile, I have a question that occurred to me last night, one of
      considerable interest...
      I believe it was Herzog's book that related Jesus' action in the Temple to
      the ritual for cleansing a house from leprosy. Specifically, if a house
      were badly contaminated, it was to be torn down so 'not one stone would
      remain on another.' And the "forbidding them to carry anything through the
      Temple courtyard" he thought was based on the part about not bring
      containers into such a house.

      Now. THIS seems to be stretching it a little.
      However, assuming that the detail DOES have meaning, IS this it?
      I'm wondering if the Temple was open on the Sabbath, & whether Jesus might
      have been applying Sabbath regulations re carrying things??????? Possible?
      If he did this, and got away with it (for the day) he must have been able
      to supply a plausibly legal rationale that would hold off the authorities
      from immediately stopping his interference. (Unless he packed the place
      with yokels from Galilee (?) & the authorities were hoping to resolve
      things with minimal fuss, & probably even in that case. I doubt we're
      talking significant military threat, except from the Roman garrison who
      might intervene if things LOOKED too messy.)

      Does anyone here know? If not, can someone recommend a Jewish list where
      people might be qualified & willing to explain why he wouldn't "let them
      carry anything through?"

      Forrest Curo