On the primacy of the sayings

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 1980
      At 06:01 PM 8/2/00 -0400, RSBrenchley@... wrote:
          Rikk Watts  writes: <I'm fascinated as to why what Jesus' said should
      <have priority over what he did (if you'll pardon the observation, sounds
      <very much like the kind of value structure we scholars who probably talk
      <much more than act might affirm).  Couldn't one just as easily argue that
      <Jesus' actions are vital for providing the context in which his sayings
      <should be understood?

      Rikk,
      I think there is some basis in evidence for the priority of the sayings, which goes something like this (I'm on the road again, so the top of my head rather than the contents of my bookshelves must suffice):

      Scholars have often observed that it seems like the same saying of Jesus appears in different narrative frames in different gospels-- or even without the frame at all (GThomas.) This is what might be expected if the sayings were primary and the narrative secondary.

      If the narrative was primary, we ought to find repeated examples of the same narrative frame with different sayings associated. This would tell us that the story was most important, and what Jesus said didn't really make that much of an impression. So I offer this challenge to the list:
      What examples are there of strikingly similar narrative frames associated with dissimilar sayings of Jesus? That is, parallel pericopes where there is more similarity in the narrative frames than in the words attributed to Jesus?

      Bob
    • JamesZuc@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2001
        I am interested in the assumption of the Jesus Seminar and the HJ research concerning the Gospel of Thomas. I realize that this source has become of great interest for many historians in the search of the HJ.

        1. I realize that the Gospel of Thomas may have been complied over a long period of time. However, what evidence exists that the Gospel was largely written before the major canonical gospels?

        2. Many of the authors I have read recently have criticized this tendency because the Gospel of Thomas is more likely to have been influenced by the canonical gospels. Since the gospel has been dated for the second century, what evidence exists that the order should be reversed?

        James