Re: [XTalk] re: Seminar Voting

  • Rikki E. Watts
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
      > GD: No one has ever claimed that the JS database represents
      > the final word on determining the historicity of the Gospel accounts for all
      > time; it is simply a snapshot of scholarly consensus at a given moment.

      Sorry to nit-pick ... but with respect and without prejudice, I don't think
      anyone would honestly claim that JS even represents "scholarly consensus."

      Rikk Watts
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
        At 05:14 PM 8/2/00 -0400, Dawson, Gail wrote:
        >GD: The results by category may have been published in the Seminar's
        >journal _Forum_ (someone else on this list may know for certain).

        The results (and explanations for why they voted that way) for the
        sayings in Mark and parallels are found in the Red Letter edition
        of Mark. This may be easier for people to find than the journal.
        I believe the other Red Letter editions are still in the planning
        stage.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
      • Dawson, Gail
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
          I had written:

          Rikk Watts wrote:

          Sorry to nit-pick ... but with respect and without prejudice, I don't think
          anyone would honestly claim that JS even represents "scholarly consensus."

          GD:

          To clarify: The JS is a corporate body of scholars, reporting their
          findings as a body, not as individuals. My intent might have been clearer
          in my message if I had written "_a_ scholarly consensus"--that is, the
          scholarly consensus *of* the JS.

          Gail Dawson
          Edinburg, Virginia