Re: [XTalk] Seminar Voting

  • Rick Hubbard
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      Corey W. Liknes wrote:

      > I am trying to determine how voting is carried out in Jesus Seminar
      > meetings. I understand there are 4 possibilities for any statement or
      > action, and that each member (some 40-50 people, am I right?) drops in a
      > pebble corresponding to their personal decision on a question.
      >
      > When the votes are tallied is it a first-past-the-post system? In other
      > words If 40 people vote and 15 vote for possibility 1, 10 vote for 2, 10
      > vote for 3, and 5 vote for 4 does that mean that possibility 1 is given the
      > decision? Or are there checks and balances built into the mechanism to
      > ensure that minority views don't carry the day. Those of you from Canada
      > will recall that in 1988 65% of the population voted against the Tories, and
      > yet they still formed a majority government for precisely the same reasons.

      Dear Corey,

      An excellent description of the JS voting procedure may be found in R.
      Funk, et al, _The Acts of Jesus_ (Polebridge: 1998) pp 36-38 and R.
      Funk, R Hoover, et al, _The Five Gospels_ (Polebridge: 1993), pp 34-37.
      The latter work also includes in the appendix a description of the
      numerically weighted votes for the sayings, however the former
      regrettably does not include this helpful feature (only the Red, Pink,
      Grey and Black designations).

      You may also find to be helpful the published premises and rules of
      inquiry of the JS which are published at Stephan Davies Gospel of Thomas
      site:

      http://home.epix.net/`miser17/jsem.html

      Good luck!

      Rick Hubbard