Encyclopedia of the DSS

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2000
      A new reference book has several articles of potential interest to this
      list: Encyclopedia of the Dead Sea Scrolls, edited by L. Schiffman and J.
      VanderKam (Oxford U.P., 2000), though it's rather expensive, priced for
      libraries, I guess. I sent a review to amazon.com.

      The editors let contributors differ. So, for example, the article
      on Crucifixion (by M. Wise) presents Yadin's view on 4QpNah and 11QTemple
      as the "consensus." But Joseph Baumgarten (p.457ff) presents a substantial
      case for a different view. Some articles link Essene origins to Hasideans,
      though the article on Hasideans (J. Kampen) warns against that as baseless.
      Many other examples could be cited. And there are some errors. For instance
      R. Bauckham mentioned Epiphanius Heresy 18 in his "Jewish Christianity"
      article--and I assume he had it right-- but I guess that a copy-editor
      changed Nasarenes to Nazarenes (p. 412). On p. 363, we are told without
      evidence that John Hyrcanus was the first to declare himself king, though
      Josephus (Ant 13.301) has his son Aristobolus, and Strabo (Geo. 6,2.40) has
      Alexander Jannaeus (and M. Stern I. 307 proposed that Aristobolus used the
      term only for foreigners).

      There are many articles of interest, including one on Jesus (by
      H.-W. Kuhn); Languages (J. Fitzmyer); Josephus (L. Feldman); Jude
      (Bauckham); John (the late R. Brown), Revelation (A. Yarbro Collins), and
      so on.

      best,
      Stephen Goranson
      goranson@...