Re: [XTalk] Semitic background of the Synoptics

  • Richard Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2000
      Rabbi Harry:

      Welcome to crosstalk. I look forward to your contributions and
      particularly to your perspective.
      I recommend Mark Goodacre, NT Gateway,
      http://www.ntgateway.com/ as an excellent resource.

      I also suggest Jerusalem Perspective, http://www.jerusalemperspective.com/
      I think
      the Kingdom of Heaven by Joseph Frankovic, might also be helpful for your
      kingdom of God vs. kingdom of heaven study.

      Richard H. Anderson
      http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke

      > Friends,
      >
      > Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding the Semitic background to
      > the Synoptics. I was asked to introduce myself. So, for the record, I am
      > ABD at University of California, Santa Barbara, and I am writing this
      > dissertation with Birger Pearson. It is tentatively subtitled: Semitic
      > Idioms in the Synoptic Gospels and Related Jewish Literature. My MA is in
      > Hebrew Literature from the Hebrew Union College.
      >
      > I am a full time rabbi and am writing this dissertation in my very limited
      > free time. So I have limited my research to the "kingdom" texts. I rely
      > heavily on Chilton, Daube, Flusser, Fitzmyer and Vermes, biblical
      > commentaries and mostly concordances and gospel parallels. I was more
      than
      > slightly inspired by Philip Sigal's *The Halakha of Jesus of Nazareth
      > According to the Gospel of Matthew*. Unfortunately this work has been
      > largely ignored since its single review by Saldarini. My Greek skills are
      > limited to a reading knowledge of koine, but my Hebrew and Aramaic are
      more
      > than passable. I hope to be able to tell you more about my dissertation
      if
      > it ever nears or is actually completed. Once again thanks for you
      comments.

      > Harry A. Manhoff, ABD
      > UCSB
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2000
        I've added links (on http://www.ntgateway.com/Jesus.htm) to a couple more
        articles that will be of interest to the list, so note them here also:

        http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4thR_index/Sayings/sayings.html
        {HYPERLINK "http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4thR_index/Sayings/sayings.html"}Lane C. McGaughy, "The Search for the Historical Jesus: Why start with the
        sayings?", Fourth R 9,5–6 (September/December 1996)

        http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~loader/crossan.htm
        {HYPERLINK "http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~loader/crossan.htm"}William Loader, "Simple Choices? A Response to John Dominic Crossan",
        Colloquium. The Australia and New Zealand Theological Review 31.2
        (1999) pp. 67-74

        Mark

        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        Homepage
        http://www.ntgateway.com