Re: [XTalk] Semitic background of the Synoptics

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
      Hmanhoff@... wrote:

      > In my almost completed dissertation, I argue that the gospels
      > of Mark and Luke were presented to the Aramaic speaking masses, and that the
      > gospel of Matthew was written in the Hebrew style of the sages (tanaim). If
      > these works were not composed for Jews and Judaic-sympathizers, then why
      > would it rely on the Hebrew Scriptures for prooftexts.

      There is a fallacious and question begging hidden assumption here that the Jews
      and "Judaic Sympathizes" to whom the Gospels were written were not Greek speaking
      and/or read the "hebrew" scriptures in Hebrew rather than Greek. But as the
      primarily LXX form of the biblical quotations in the Gospels (and in Paul's
      letters) show, not to mention a vast array of other evidence, this does not seem
      to have been the case.

      What is the title of your thesis? Under whose supervision and at which
      institution of learning are you writing it?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
        Hmanhoff@... wrote:

        > Jack Kilmon writes: There are no Aramaic texts that predate the Greek.
        >
        > When mentioning important scholarship about the Semitic background to the
        > gospels, one must not forget the brilliant work of David Daube (z"l), *The
        > New Testament and Rabbinic Judaism*. Let us remember that while there "are
        > no Aramaic texts that predate the Greek," there is no copy of the so-called Q
        > text either. In my almost completed dissertation, I argue that the gospels
        > of Mark and Luke were presented to the Aramaic speaking masses, and that the
        > gospel of Matthew was written in the Hebrew style of the sages (tanaim). If
        > these works were not composed for Jews and Judaic-sympathizers, then why
        > would it rely on the Hebrew Scriptures for prooftexts.

        They did not rely on the Hebrew Tanakh but on the LXX. I am not
        thoroughly
        convinced the Matthean scribe was competent in either Hebrew or Aramaic
        and
        writing for Hellenistic Jews in, probably, Antioch didn't need to be.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net

        sharing a meal for free.
        http://www.thehungersite.com/
      • Hmanhoff@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2000
          Friends,

          Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding the Semitic background to
          the Synoptics. I was asked to introduce myself. So, for the record, I am
          ABD at University of California, Santa Barbara, and I am writing this
          dissertation with Birger Pearson. It is tentatively subtitled: Semitic
          Idioms in the Synoptic Gospels and Related Jewish Literature. My MA is in
          Hebrew Literature from the Hebrew Union College.

          I am a full time rabbi and am writing this dissertation in my very limited
          free time. So I have limited my research to the "kingdom" texts. I rely
          heavily on Chilton, Daube, Flusser, Fitzmyer and Vermes, biblical
          commentaries and mostly concordances and gospel parallels. I was more than
          slightly inspired by Philip Sigal's *The Halakha of Jesus of Nazareth
          According to the Gospel of Matthew*. Unfortunately this work has been
          largely ignored since its single review by Saldarini. My Greek skills are
          limited to a reading knowledge of koine, but my Hebrew and Aramaic are more
          than passable. I hope to be able to tell you more about my dissertation if
          it ever nears or is actually completed. Once again thanks for you comments.

          Harry A. Manhoff, ABD
          UCSB
        • Richard Anderson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2000
            Rabbi Harry:

            Welcome to crosstalk. I look forward to your contributions and
            particularly to your perspective.
            I recommend Mark Goodacre, NT Gateway,
            http://www.ntgateway.com/ as an excellent resource.

            I also suggest Jerusalem Perspective, http://www.jerusalemperspective.com/
            I think
            the Kingdom of Heaven by Joseph Frankovic, might also be helpful for your
            kingdom of God vs. kingdom of heaven study.

            Richard H. Anderson
            http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke

            > Friends,
            >
            > Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding the Semitic background to
            > the Synoptics. I was asked to introduce myself. So, for the record, I am
            > ABD at University of California, Santa Barbara, and I am writing this
            > dissertation with Birger Pearson. It is tentatively subtitled: Semitic
            > Idioms in the Synoptic Gospels and Related Jewish Literature. My MA is in
            > Hebrew Literature from the Hebrew Union College.
            >
            > I am a full time rabbi and am writing this dissertation in my very limited
            > free time. So I have limited my research to the "kingdom" texts. I rely
            > heavily on Chilton, Daube, Flusser, Fitzmyer and Vermes, biblical
            > commentaries and mostly concordances and gospel parallels. I was more
            than
            > slightly inspired by Philip Sigal's *The Halakha of Jesus of Nazareth
            > According to the Gospel of Matthew*. Unfortunately this work has been
            > largely ignored since its single review by Saldarini. My Greek skills are
            > limited to a reading knowledge of koine, but my Hebrew and Aramaic are
            more
            > than passable. I hope to be able to tell you more about my dissertation
            if
            > it ever nears or is actually completed. Once again thanks for you
            comments.

            > Harry A. Manhoff, ABD
            > UCSB
          • Mark Goodacre
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2000
              I've added links (on http://www.ntgateway.com/Jesus.htm) to a couple more
              articles that will be of interest to the list, so note them here also:

              http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4thR_index/Sayings/sayings.html
              {HYPERLINK "http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4thR_index/Sayings/sayings.html"}Lane C. McGaughy, "The Search for the Historical Jesus: Why start with the
              sayings?", Fourth R 9,5–6 (September/December 1996)

              http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~loader/crossan.htm
              {HYPERLINK "http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~loader/crossan.htm"}William Loader, "Simple Choices? A Response to John Dominic Crossan",
              Colloquium. The Australia and New Zealand Theological Review 31.2
              (1999) pp. 67-74

              Mark

              Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
              University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
              Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

              http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
              Homepage
              http://www.ntgateway.com