Re: [XTalk] Semitic background of the Synoptics

  • Richard Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
      Harry: I look forward to reading your dissertation because so much of the
      current scholarship emphasises the graeco-roman influences to such a degree
      that modern scholarship even denies the judaic background of the NT doctrine
      of atonement.

      For instance, Frederick W. Danker's Commentary on Luke (Jesus and the New
      Age) is based upon his earlier epigraphic study of greaco-roman inscriptions
      to establish Jesus as the benefactor.

      Richard H. Anderson
      http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke

      > In my almost completed dissertation, I argue that the >gospels
      > of Mark and Luke were presented to the Aramaic >speaking masses, and that
      the
      > gospel of Matthew was written in the Hebrew style of >the sages (tanaim).
      If
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
        Hmanhoff@... wrote:

        > In my almost completed dissertation, I argue that the gospels
        > of Mark and Luke were presented to the Aramaic speaking masses, and that the
        > gospel of Matthew was written in the Hebrew style of the sages (tanaim). If
        > these works were not composed for Jews and Judaic-sympathizers, then why
        > would it rely on the Hebrew Scriptures for prooftexts.

        There is a fallacious and question begging hidden assumption here that the Jews
        and "Judaic Sympathizes" to whom the Gospels were written were not Greek speaking
        and/or read the "hebrew" scriptures in Hebrew rather than Greek. But as the
        primarily LXX form of the biblical quotations in the Gospels (and in Paul's
        letters) show, not to mention a vast array of other evidence, this does not seem
        to have been the case.

        What is the title of your thesis? Under whose supervision and at which
        institution of learning are you writing it?

        Yours,

        Jeffrey Gibson
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
        7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
          Hmanhoff@... wrote:

          > Jack Kilmon writes: There are no Aramaic texts that predate the Greek.
          >
          > When mentioning important scholarship about the Semitic background to the
          > gospels, one must not forget the brilliant work of David Daube (z"l), *The
          > New Testament and Rabbinic Judaism*. Let us remember that while there "are
          > no Aramaic texts that predate the Greek," there is no copy of the so-called Q
          > text either. In my almost completed dissertation, I argue that the gospels
          > of Mark and Luke were presented to the Aramaic speaking masses, and that the
          > gospel of Matthew was written in the Hebrew style of the sages (tanaim). If
          > these works were not composed for Jews and Judaic-sympathizers, then why
          > would it rely on the Hebrew Scriptures for prooftexts.

          They did not rely on the Hebrew Tanakh but on the LXX. I am not
          thoroughly
          convinced the Matthean scribe was competent in either Hebrew or Aramaic
          and
          writing for Hellenistic Jews in, probably, Antioch didn't need to be.

          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          jkilmon@...

          http://www.historian.net

          sharing a meal for free.
          http://www.thehungersite.com/
        • Hmanhoff@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2000
            Friends,

            Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding the Semitic background to
            the Synoptics. I was asked to introduce myself. So, for the record, I am
            ABD at University of California, Santa Barbara, and I am writing this
            dissertation with Birger Pearson. It is tentatively subtitled: Semitic
            Idioms in the Synoptic Gospels and Related Jewish Literature. My MA is in
            Hebrew Literature from the Hebrew Union College.

            I am a full time rabbi and am writing this dissertation in my very limited
            free time. So I have limited my research to the "kingdom" texts. I rely
            heavily on Chilton, Daube, Flusser, Fitzmyer and Vermes, biblical
            commentaries and mostly concordances and gospel parallels. I was more than
            slightly inspired by Philip Sigal's *The Halakha of Jesus of Nazareth
            According to the Gospel of Matthew*. Unfortunately this work has been
            largely ignored since its single review by Saldarini. My Greek skills are
            limited to a reading knowledge of koine, but my Hebrew and Aramaic are more
            than passable. I hope to be able to tell you more about my dissertation if
            it ever nears or is actually completed. Once again thanks for you comments.

            Harry A. Manhoff, ABD
            UCSB
          • Richard Anderson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2000
              Rabbi Harry:

              Welcome to crosstalk. I look forward to your contributions and
              particularly to your perspective.
              I recommend Mark Goodacre, NT Gateway,
              http://www.ntgateway.com/ as an excellent resource.

              I also suggest Jerusalem Perspective, http://www.jerusalemperspective.com/
              I think
              the Kingdom of Heaven by Joseph Frankovic, might also be helpful for your
              kingdom of God vs. kingdom of heaven study.

              Richard H. Anderson
              http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke

              > Friends,
              >
              > Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding the Semitic background to
              > the Synoptics. I was asked to introduce myself. So, for the record, I am
              > ABD at University of California, Santa Barbara, and I am writing this
              > dissertation with Birger Pearson. It is tentatively subtitled: Semitic
              > Idioms in the Synoptic Gospels and Related Jewish Literature. My MA is in
              > Hebrew Literature from the Hebrew Union College.
              >
              > I am a full time rabbi and am writing this dissertation in my very limited
              > free time. So I have limited my research to the "kingdom" texts. I rely
              > heavily on Chilton, Daube, Flusser, Fitzmyer and Vermes, biblical
              > commentaries and mostly concordances and gospel parallels. I was more
              than
              > slightly inspired by Philip Sigal's *The Halakha of Jesus of Nazareth
              > According to the Gospel of Matthew*. Unfortunately this work has been
              > largely ignored since its single review by Saldarini. My Greek skills are
              > limited to a reading knowledge of koine, but my Hebrew and Aramaic are
              more
              > than passable. I hope to be able to tell you more about my dissertation
              if
              > it ever nears or is actually completed. Once again thanks for you
              comments.

              > Harry A. Manhoff, ABD
              > UCSB
            • Mark Goodacre
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2000
                I've added links (on http://www.ntgateway.com/Jesus.htm) to a couple more
                articles that will be of interest to the list, so note them here also:

                http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4thR_index/Sayings/sayings.html
                {HYPERLINK "http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4thR_index/Sayings/sayings.html"}Lane C. McGaughy, "The Search for the Historical Jesus: Why start with the
                sayings?", Fourth R 9,5–6 (September/December 1996)

                http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~loader/crossan.htm
                {HYPERLINK "http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~loader/crossan.htm"}William Loader, "Simple Choices? A Response to John Dominic Crossan",
                Colloquium. The Australia and New Zealand Theological Review 31.2
                (1999) pp. 67-74

                Mark

                Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

                http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                Homepage
                http://www.ntgateway.com