Re: [XTalk] Q studies: the question of Aramaic

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2000
      > Brian McCarthy wrote:
      >
      > Mark,
      >
      > A general info. question concerning Q studies.
      >
      > Given that many scholars outside the JS hold that Jesus' principal
      > teaching language was Aramaic, the question suggests itself:
      >
      > Do Q scholars work simply with (actual and postulated) Greek texts, or
      > do they also discuss the possible relationships of Greek texts to
      > prior Aramaic texts or traditions?

      I'll take a swing at this one. Some scholars, like Fitzmyer and
      Jeremias, examine the Aramaic interference in NT Greek syntax,
      including Q material. It is a useful tool under-utilized by
      the JS and NT scholarship.

      Having said that, however, some cautions are necessary. It is a
      valuable tool, IMO, *only* for the sayings material and even then
      has certain dangers. Although retroversion to Aramaic does, in
      a number of cases "light up" a saying or make "difficult" sayings
      understandable, its best usage is best distilled for single
      phrases or even single words. Although the vox Iesu most likely
      was in Aramaic, any given saying of Jesus that comes to us
      is most likely a paraphrase in Greek..in fact we see this often
      in sayings parallels between the gospels, GoT and non-canonical
      sources.

      I am more comfortable retroverting one difficult Greek word
      like MISEI at Luke 14:26 to <Aram>snh to discuss the possible
      implications of "hate" being "set aside" in the Aramaic
      idiom than retroverting the entire saying which may not
      be ipsissima verba in toto.

      There are no Aramaic texts that predate the Greek.

      Sure is a shame that tape recorders were so expensive in
      the 1st century <g>

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...