RE: [XTalk] John and the Last supper

  • Barnes, Tom
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2000

      At 08:46 AM 6/27/00 -0400, Barnes, Tom wrote:

      I always wondered why John didn't have the last super blessing in his
      gospel and after watching last nights show it started my wondering
      again.  I have read a few books by John Crossan and I have come to the
      conclusion that he is anti-snynoptical.

      what do you mean by that?

       Is John that reliable of a
      source to come to the conclusion that if it is not in his book it must
      have not have taken place?

      Crossan actually just raised the question of why was it that John does not include this aspect of the "Last Supper". He left open, as I recall, without elaboration, why this was the case. For example, one might conclude that (a) the synoptic account is embellished, or (b) John had some reason for not including those details (assuming that John had access to Mark, at least), or (c) John just didn't know about those details for some reason (recalling that the supposed author of GJohn is not necessarily the disciple of that name.)
      Bob
          I mean he tends to rely on other sources as being more reliable than the synoptic i.e. the gospel of Peter or other apocryphal gospels.

      Tom

      The XTalk Home Page is http://www.xtalk.org

      List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com