John and the Last supper

  • Barnes, Tom
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2000
      I always wondered why John didn't have the last super blessing in his
      gospel and after watching last nights show it started my wondering
      again. I have read a few books by John Crossan and I have come to the
      conclusion that he is anti-snynoptical. Is John that reliable of a
      source to come to the conclusion that if it is not in his book it must
      have not have taken place?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2000
        At 08:46 AM 6/27/00 -0400, Barnes, Tom wrote:
        I always wondered why John didn't have the last super blessing in his
        gospel and after watching last nights show it started my wondering
        again.  I have read a few books by John Crossan and I have come to the
        conclusion that he is anti-snynoptical.

        what do you mean by that?

         Is John that reliable of a
        source to come to the conclusion that if it is not in his book it must
        have not have taken place?

        Crossan actually just raised the question of why was it that John does not include this aspect of the "Last Supper". He left open, as I recall, without elaboration, why this was the case. For example, one might conclude that (a) the synoptic account is embellished, or (b) John had some reason for not including those details (assuming that John had access to Mark, at least), or (c) John just didn't know about those details for some reason (recalling that the supposed author of GJohn is not necessarily the disciple of that name.)
        Bob

      • Barnes, Tom
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2000

[...]

              I mean he tends to rely on other sources as being more reliable than the synoptic i.e. the gospel of Peter or other apocryphal gospels.

          Tom

          The XTalk Home Page is http://www.xtalk.org

          List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com