Re: [XTalk] Re: JB and Aaronic priesthood (was: Messianic Apocalypse in DSSa n d Matt 11:2-6) (See Notice Below)

  • Brian McCarthy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2000
      Hope,

      JESUS by David Flusser (in collab. with R Steven Notley). 2nd ed. 1997,
      Magnes Press, Hebrew Uninversity. (I got my copy from Eisenbrauns)

      It is dedicated to his "Mennonite friends"

      In the Preface, p. 16, we read, "My ambition is simply to serve as a
      mouthpiece for Jesus' message today."
      and, on p. 15, Speaking as a practicing Jew he says,"I readily admit,
      however, that i personally identify myself with Jesus' Jewish
      Weltanschauung, both moral and political, and i believe that the content of
      his teachings and thr approach he embraced have always had the potential to
      change our world and prevent the greater part of evil and suffering."

      Utilizing his expertise in 2nd temple Judaism, F. sees Jesus as someone who
      gave exceptional public, popular exprssion to a new current of Israelite
      thinking which emphasized forgiveness of enemies etc. He finds this current
      receiving scribal expression already in ben Sirach, chap 28.

      The original was written in German in 1968 and apparently caused a stir. The
      ET, published over here a year later was apparently ignored.

      Much of the original is copied verbatim in the new version, but there are
      many additions and changes, so that it is twice as long.

      Brian