Re: [XTalk] Re: JB and Aaronic priesthood (was: Messianic Apocalypsein DSSa n d Matt 11:2-6) (See Notice Below)

  • Mark Cameron
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2000
      Pixner has an article in Charlesworth, ed. _Hillel and Jesus_ (Minneapolis:
      1997) called "Jesus and His Community: Between Essenes and Pharisees." He
      dwells only slightly on JB and the Essenes (mentioning 4Q521), but gives
      much information and speculation about potential Essene connections to Jesus
      and the early Christians. Otto Betz, "Jesus and the Temple Scroll" in the
      other Charlesworth book you mention also has references.

      The connection between Herod the Great and the Essenes is quite fascinating.
      The Essenes may be linked to the Boethians, a family of priests brought from
      Alexandria by Herod c. 30 B.C. when he married an Alexandrian Jewish
      princess. According to the Mishnah, the Boethians apparently followed the
      same solar calendar as the Essenes, and Josephus records that the Essenes
      were able to sacrifice in the Temple during Herod's reign. Perhaps the
      Boethians were more liberal and Hellenized Alexandrian Essenes, like Philo's
      Therapeutae, while the Qumran sect were more radical Palestinian Essenes,
      with some interchange occurring between the two in the Jerusalem Essene
      Quarter. JB could have been born to an Essene priestly family during the
      reign of Herod the Great, but gone to the desert either because the Essenes
      had fallen out of favour in Jerusalem, or because of his own, more radical,
      sense of religious vocation. This is speculative, but it at least makes it
      plausible that Luke may have had accurate historical tradition about JB's
      background

      Mark Cameron
      Kanata, Ontario