Re: [XTalk] Re: JB and Essene? priesthood

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2000
      At 10:07 PM 6/22/00 -0500, Brian McCarthy wrote:
      Hello Gail and everybody who has been pursuing this topic,

      I have only been skimming so I may be quite out of touch with the
      discussion, but I have formed the impression that it is proceeding on the
      basis not only of the idea that the Qumran people were Essenes, but of the
      identification of the two, so that all Essenes were Qumran people.

      Isn't there an argument--based at least in good part on the so-called
      Damascus Document, that there were other--maybe many other--Essenes who
      lived elsewhere?

      I think Josephus says so, although I don't have the references at hand, and it might have been Philo, who claimed that Essenes lived in many of the towns and villages.

      If so, this would open up much more widely the q. of  possible relations
      between JB and the Essenes and their views?

      Brian McCarthy

      The major attraction of the Qumran Essene connection, if such it was, seems ecological: both were active near the Jordan River, in a wilderness environment. J the B doesn't seem like the kinda guy to spend a lot of time in the towns and cities -- except, of course, when he got an invitation he couldn't refuse.

      Bob
      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      Northern Arizona University
      Flagstaff, AZ