Re: JB and Aaronic priesthood (was: Messianic Apocalypse in DSSan d Matt 11:2-6)

  • Dawson, Gail
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2000
      Dear Mahlon,

      Thanks much for the extensive information on the 1994 Barnes Tatum report on
      the historicity of John the Baptist; I'll check it out. I especially
      appreciate your commentary about how you'd vote now versus how you voted
      then regarding JB as priest and JB as member of Qumran community. Thanks
      for taking the time to set out the arguments and your current analysis of
      same.

      Part of my interest in this is piqued by the realization that the scholarly
      discussions do eventually find their way, in a highly simplified form, into
      popular literature, including, for example, the recent Augsburg Fortress
      adult Bible study on Matthew, which assured its readers that there *must*
      have been a JB/Qumran link (the rationale was that both were in/from "the
      wilderness"). I read that and thought: oh really? On what basis? And of
      course there is never any "here are the reasons in favor and here are the
      reasons against" discussion in the text, so you get the same old
      "chestnuts," as Jeffrey said, repeated and passed on as historical fact but
      never critically analyzed.

      Gail Dawson
      Edinburg, Virginia