RE: [XTalk] Mark 4:35-41 Calming the Storm

  • Andrew T. Dolan, Ph.D. (cand.)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22 8:26 AM

      Some of your questions suggest to me that you’re presupposing the historicity of the account.  I take it more as historicized theology, so I ask different questions of this pericope.  (I am not, however, following Sanders’s approach to defining miracles out of existence, i.e., what cannot happen does not happen; what can happen and does happen is not a miracle.)  Part of what’s going on in this pericope seems to be a “high” Christological midrash on Ps 107.23-32, Ps 104.7, and other verses that establish the topos of YHWH’s authority over sea and storm, especially for the benefit of YHWH’s faithful.

      Others will probably inundate you with evidence for a Jewish identification of sea and chaos continued into first-century literature.  References that might be missed if Revelation is not counted as Jewish literature are Rev. 13.1 (beast from the sea) and, more significantly, 21.1, which announces that the sea will be no more in the age of the new heaven and new earth.

      Andy

      Andrew T. Dolan, Ph.D. Cand.

      Assistant Professor of Theology

      Francis Hall 232