Re: [XTalk] Re: JB and Aaronic priesthood (was: Messianic Apocalypse in DSSan d Matt 11:2-6)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2000
      "Mahlon H. Smith" wrote:

      [much valuable material snipped]

      > If this was the case with JB, however, I don't think it probable that he
      > would have had access to such an esoteric Qumranite document as 4Q521.
      > [I conclude it was esoteric since until Wise deciphered it & published
      > his preliminary study 5 years ago no one ever mentioned or even
      > suspected its existence]. Even less was HJ apt to have been in a
      > position to be familiar with this text, since his reputation was almost
      > certainly less immaculate than JB's.

      Umm ... concluding 4Q251 was esoteric on the grounds that no one heard of it
      until date X? On this logic, shouldn't we then conclude that **all** of the
      DSS were esoteric? "No one" knew of them until the late 40s of our era!

      And doesn't this also assume that the text of 4Q251 **originates** a belief
      rather than embodying and/or being a witness to something that was already
      held and was perhaps widely know. Seems to me that on your grounds, we should
      say that no one held or knew about the beliefs expressed in, say, the Nicene
      creed until only **after** the "author" of the creed put pen to paper.

      Or have I misunderstood you?.

      In any case, many thanks for the "update".

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Chicago, Illinois 60626