RE: [XTalk] Abegg's quote

  • Liz Fried
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2000
      To my knowledge 2Sam. 15-17 is in all versions of the LXX.
      It would be pertinent to know if these chapters were in the LXX at Qumran.
      This was the version of the OT most NT writers used anyway.
    • Rikki E. Watts
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2000
        Jeffery,

        I would add that the Josephus' account (Antiq.7.9.2ff. (197ff)) further
        supports your contention. But even if the book itself didn't exist then
        there is evidence here that the relevant stories were known.

        Further, NA26 sees numbers of NT citations of Samuel (1 Sam 12.22 in Rom
        11.22; 2 Sam 5.2 in Mt 2.6; 2 Sam 7.8 in 2 Cor 6.18; 2 Sam 7.14 in 2 Cor
        6.18; Heb 1.5; Rev 21.7; and 2 Sam 22.50 in Rev 15.9) plus around 50-60
        allusions. Given that several of these texts are Pauline and therefore
        pre-Markan, it seems that all this would suggest that Ted's appeal to Sam
        (whatever one might think of the rest of his theory) is reasonably
        well-supported.

        Rikk

        Dr. R. E. Watts (PhD, Cantab) Phone (604) 224 3245
        Regent College, UBC Fax (604) 224 3097
        5800 University Boulevard
        Vancouver, BC
        CANADA V6T 2E4