Re: [XTalk] CBS movie "Jesus"

  • Brian McCarthy
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2000
      Jeffrey,

      It is a little early, but while I remember it, ABC is going to show a two
      hour Special, starring Peter Jennings, on the evening of June 12--but in
      Wisconsin at least it will be June 19, because of some possible sports
      event.

      I don't know the title, but in the course of making it Jennings himself went
      out to a meeting of the Jesus Seminar in Santa Rosa. That was a couple of
      years ago, so it has been slow in appearing. I don't know where else they
      went--Dallas Theological Seminary or Louisville Southern Baptist?

      Brian McCarthy
      Message 2 of 6 , May 18, 2000
        Just a brief story about the making of the show to which Brian refers.
        Peter Jennings was interviewing Dom Crossan for this show at the San Francisco Theological Seminary. Jennings and Crossan were sitting outside on this bench, and there were a couple of students watching with great interest the filming of the interview. When the crew took a break in the filming, the students rushed over to Crossan, asking for his autograph while completely ignoring Peter Jennings.
        A nice comment on contemporary celebrity status!
        Henry Carrigan
        Trinity Press International

        >>> "Brian McCarthy" <brmcc@...> 05/14/00 10:54PM >>>
        Jeffrey,

        It is a little early, but while I remember it, ABC is going to show a two
        hour Special, starring Peter Jennings, on the evening of June 12--but in
        Wisconsin at least it will be June 19, because of some possible sports
        event.

        I don't know the title, but in the course of making it Jennings himself went
        out to a meeting of the Jesus Seminar in Santa Rosa. That was a couple of
        years ago, so it has been slow in appearing. I don't know where else they
        went--Dallas Theological Seminary or Louisville Southern Baptist?

        Brian McCarthy
        > apparently made especially for television, on the life of Jesus, will be
        > broadcast tonight and tomorrow evening (8pm, CST) on CBS.
        >
        > I have no expectations that it will be good (Jacquelin Bisect is Mary!
        > and Deborah Messier of "Will and Grace" is Mary Magdelene). But I'm
        > willing to be surprised.
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Jeffrey Gibson
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson
        > 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
        > Chicago, Illinois 60626
        > e-mail jgibson000@...
        > jgibson000@...

        > To contact list managers, e-mail us at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com

        To contact list managers, e-mail us at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com
      • Robert M Schacht
        Message 3 of 6 , May 19, 2000
          On Sun, 14 May 2000 19:03:27 -0500 "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
          <jgibson000@...> writes:
          > List members in North America might like to know that a new film,
          > apparently made especially for television, on the life of Jesus, will
          be
          > broadcast tonight and tomorrow evening (8pm, CST) on CBS.
          >
          > I have no expectations that it will be good (Jacquelin Bisect is Mary!
          > and Deborah Messier of "Will and Grace" is Mary Magdelene). But I'm
          > willing to be surprised.

          Jeffrey,
          No doubt, you were not surprised. For those who just can't get enough of
          such things, CBS does have a web site for the show and ancillary
          features:

          http://cbs.com/network/tvshows/mini/jesus/

          I only saw the first installment, but it seemed like the guy playing
          Jesus had a difficult time getting into the role. Like, he couldn't
          figure out who he was, or something. Anyway, the web site features a
          "Life of Jesus interactive timeline".

          Bob
        • Harold Penner
          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2000
            I found it quite interesting trhat one of the disciples spoke with an
            English accent. Somewhat reminiscent to Kevin Kostner's Robin Hood, who did
            not speak with an English accent.

            Harold Penner
            McGill Facvulty of Religious Studies
            doctoral student

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 6 , May 30, 2000
              > I only saw the first installment, but it seemed like the guy playing
              > Jesus had a difficult time getting into the role. Like, he couldn't
              > figure out who he was, or something.

              But that pretty well defines the Quest for the HJ, doesn't it, Bob? <g>

              Jack

              Jkilmon@...
            • Robert M Schacht
              Message 6 of 6 , May 31, 2000
                On Tue, 30 May 2000 09:18:06 -0500 "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon@...>
                writes:

> [...]

                Hmm. I thought that here, *we* were the ones who are having a hard time
                figuring it out.

                :-)