RE: [XTalk] Re: Antonio and Watts' exchange.

  • Brooks, George X
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3 5:55 AM
      Antonio Jerez says:

      "As is well known by now Wright wants to reevaluate many of the
      parables and
      > sayings that are traditionally held to be about the Parouisia of the
      > SoM/resureccted
      > Jesus. Wright claims that parables like the Ten Maidens in GMatthew
      > (25:1-13) aren't
      > really about the second return of Christ in his supernatural glory to
      > punish the servants
      > (Christians) who have fallen asleep (got lazy) during his absence in
      > heaven."
      [End of Snip]

      Jerez provides a very good description of the limits of Wright's discussion
      (so far). And I'm very sympathetic to Jerez's point of view. However, I
      am tempted to WANT to agree with Wright. And I'll tell you why.

      I have always felt that Jesus thought he was going to survive the "3 days"
      and THEN lead a victorious kingdom, as angels swarmed to his side as
      invoked by his mandatory "sufferings". But the idea that Jesus THOUGHT
      he was going to survive the "3 days", hang around a little while, then
      leave for centuries.... and THEN return and punish the "lazy"ones who
      have not been vigilant...... well that seems so BEYOND what Jesus thought
      was going to happen, that it doesn't seem too credible.

      So I have to ask Jerez if he thinks the GMatthew parable in chapter 25
      was a later creation/adaptation of later followers? Or does he really think
      Jesus told that story as it stands? I'm not saying that I think Wright's
      research satisfies all my desires. But I **am** saying that I am interested
      in Wright's instincts on how to interpret what some of these parables were
      "really" about.

      George Brooks
      Tampa, FL
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 8:07 AM
        I am going to enter this exchange only once...first as an amateur,
        secondly as a moderator. As an amateur with a great respect and
        sense of gratitude to the many well established and published
        scholars, I do not like to see personal attacks of any kind by
        anyone who disagrees with their work or conclusions. The number
        one rule is to fight the conclusion, not the person.

        As a moderator, I am proud and gratified to have the quality
        scholars who take their valuable time to contribute to this
        e-list. There are many who pay thousands of dollars to sit
        in their classrooms and get what I get for free. Therefore,
        in my moderator's stance, I will not allow argumentum ad hominem
        to blossom only to watch these generous professionals ply
        their time elsewhere. This list is a valuable and useful
        resource to both amateur and scholar.

        "Antonio and Watts' exchange" is not a topic in HJ
        research and is a clear indication to me that this
        thread has long ago lost its relevence and is in
        danger of becoming a flame thread...however "polite."

        Let us move on to the serious enterprise of HJ studies.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net

        sharing a meal for free.
        http://www.thehungersite.com/
      • Rick Hubbard
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 8:37 AM
          For this statement, Thank You, Thank You and THANK YOU!

          > "Antonio and Watts' exchange" is not a topic in HJ
          > research and is a clear indication to me that this
          > thread has long ago lost its relevence and is in
          > danger of becoming a flame thread...however "polite."
          >
          > Let us move on to the serious enterprise of HJ studies.
          >
          > Jack
          >
          > --
          >
          > taybutheh d'maran yeshua masheecha am kulkon
          >
          > Jack Kilmon
          > jkilmon@...
          >
          > http://www.historian.net
          >
          > sharing a meal for free.
          > http://www.thehungersite.com/

          > To contact list managers, e-mail us at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com
        • Rikki E. Watts
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4 9:09 AM
            Thanks Jack, will be happy to abide by your ruling. I do apologize in that
            a reply written before the receipt of your decision has already been sent.

            Sincerely

            Rikk

            Dr. R. E. Watts (PhD, Cantab) Phone (604) 224 3245
            Regent College, Fax (604) 224 3097
            5800 University Boulevard
            Vancouver, BC
            CANADA V6T 2E4