Re: [XTalk] Re: flat universe

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2000
      Tom Simms wrote:

      > >Somehow I lost the relevence between Einsteinian space and Jesus'
      > >resurrection, particularly since we have to deal with the perceptions
      > >of the cosmos in the 1st century. Was Jesus' view of heaven as
      > >"up" and hell "down?" How does his malkutha d'alaha conform to
      > >characterizations of heaven? Paradise? What do the DSS tell us
      > >about this perception, at least among the DSS community?
      > >
      > >Jack
      >
      > Jack, Paradise is a Persian term for the garden of the
      > Shahinshah. As best I can tell the Pharasaic view of
      > an after life was rare among the Scrolls. The reanalysis
      > of the deposit of the Scrolls as just before the advent
      > of Pompey means rereading the texts with different eyes.
      >
      > I'm only faintly catching on to the nuances the above
      > suggests, but from what I know, the Pharisees were the
      > ones taking a view of life after death remotely near to
      > what is taken today. Apocalyptic views, plentiful in
      > the Scrolls, with God Himself providing an immediate
      > and final solution may be what was being developed when
      > Rome took the Messianic claims of Jesus as sedition and
      > made the punishment fit the crime.
      >
      > Does that not change the water on the beans? Any who
      > have widely read the lastest Scroll data please take
      > this Prometheus off his rock.

      There is a hundred year period that I call the "wake of the Seleucids"
      between the Maccabean revolt and the Roman/Herodian period that
      seems to play a great role in the construction of the background for
      the Pharisees, the DSS Community and the Jesus Movement. Increased
      nationalism and backlash to the Seleucids promulgated intensified
      messianic interest and the Daniel/Enochian literature. I think the
      slate was such that if Yeshua bar Yosef/Jesus of Nazareth would not
      have come along, someone else would....perhaps JB..if fortunes would
      have been different. Can a single swing of an executioner's axe or
      the setting of a crucifixion spike change the course of history?
      Sure it can. The DSS, therefore, give us the background.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net

      sharing a meal for free.
      http://www.thehungersite.com/
    • Tom Simms
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2000
        On Mon, 01 May 2000 16:17:22 -0500, jkilmon@... writes:
        >Tom Simms wrote:

        [... Snip ...]

        >There is a hundred year period that I call the "wake of the Seleucids"
        >between the Maccabean revolt and the Roman/Herodian period that
        >seems to play a great role in the construction of the background for
        >the Pharisees, the DSS Community and the Jesus Movement. Increased
        >nationalism and backlash to the Seleucids promulgated intensified
        >messianic interest and the Daniel/Enochian literature. I think the
        >slate was such that if Yeshua bar Yosef/Jesus of Nazareth would not
        >have come along, someone else would....perhaps JB..if fortunes would
        >have been different. Can a single swing of an executioner's axe or
        >the setting of a crucifixion spike change the course of history?
        >Sure it can. The DSS, therefore, give us the background.
        >
        >Jack

        Ah..."wake of the Seleucids" What Alexander hath
        wrought? ...splendid. Now tell us where you learn
        about this time, texts from after Qumran?

        BTW, doesn't the Titulus at Basilica Santa Croce read,
        "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews" in Aramaic,
        Greek and Latin ?

        Thanks for the lead,

        Tom