Re: [XTalk] Re: flat universe

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2000
      Tom Simms wrote:

      > On Mon, 01 May 2000 08:29:15 -0700, jkilmon@... writes:
      > >

      > >RSBrenchley@... wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Tom Simms writes:
      > >>
      > >> << Now that today we read that science says the universe is flat,
      > >> not curved, all questions re resurrection must now be reexamined. >>
      > >>
      > >> I've just returned from a weekend conference on science and theology, and I
      > >> find myself puzzled. It's a pity there isn't (yet) a site for the discussion
      > >> of points like this; I shall be arguing for the creation of one. The
      > >> discussion doesn't clarify the point, and we could probably do with some
      > >> input from the odd cosmologist. My own background (from many years ago) was
      > >> in biological and earth sciences, so I can't help much. Meanwhile, can this
      > >> be unpacked a bit, please? What's the connection?
      > >
      > >Although it is an interesting topic, its grip on an issue related to
      > >studies of the HJ is tenuous at best and decidedly, imo, off topic
      > >for the forum.
      > >
      > >Jack
      > >
      > Jack
      >
      > My purpose in raising the issue was to discuss the Jewish belief
      > in an afterlife and if Jesus' views as set out were His or His
      > followers. Thought it an obvious segue.

      Somehow I lost the relevence between Einsteinian space and Jesus'
      resurrection, particularly since we have to deal with the perceptions
      of the cosmos in the 1st century. Was Jesus' view of heaven as
      "up" and hell "down?" How does his malkutha d'alaha conform to
      characterizations of heaven? Paradise? What do the DSS tell us
      about this perception, at least among the DSS community?

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net

      sharing a meal for free.
      http://www.thehungersite.com/
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2000
        Tom Simms wrote:

        > >Somehow I lost the relevence between Einsteinian space and Jesus'
        > >resurrection, particularly since we have to deal with the perceptions
        > >of the cosmos in the 1st century. Was Jesus' view of heaven as
        > >"up" and hell "down?" How does his malkutha d'alaha conform to
        > >characterizations of heaven? Paradise? What do the DSS tell us
        > >about this perception, at least among the DSS community?
        > >
        > >Jack
        >
        > Jack, Paradise is a Persian term for the garden of the
        > Shahinshah. As best I can tell the Pharasaic view of
        > an after life was rare among the Scrolls. The reanalysis
        > of the deposit of the Scrolls as just before the advent
        > of Pompey means rereading the texts with different eyes.
        >
        > I'm only faintly catching on to the nuances the above
        > suggests, but from what I know, the Pharisees were the
        > ones taking a view of life after death remotely near to
        > what is taken today. Apocalyptic views, plentiful in
        > the Scrolls, with God Himself providing an immediate
        > and final solution may be what was being developed when
        > Rome took the Messianic claims of Jesus as sedition and
        > made the punishment fit the crime.
        >
        > Does that not change the water on the beans? Any who
        > have widely read the lastest Scroll data please take
        > this Prometheus off his rock.

        There is a hundred year period that I call the "wake of the Seleucids"
        between the Maccabean revolt and the Roman/Herodian period that
        seems to play a great role in the construction of the background for
        the Pharisees, the DSS Community and the Jesus Movement. Increased
        nationalism and backlash to the Seleucids promulgated intensified
        messianic interest and the Daniel/Enochian literature. I think the
        slate was such that if Yeshua bar Yosef/Jesus of Nazareth would not
        have come along, someone else would....perhaps JB..if fortunes would
        have been different. Can a single swing of an executioner's axe or
        the setting of a crucifixion spike change the course of history?
        Sure it can. The DSS, therefore, give us the background.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net

        sharing a meal for free.
        http://www.thehungersite.com/
      • Tom Simms
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2000
          On Mon, 01 May 2000 11:50:23 -0500, jkilmon@... writes:>
          >Tom Simms wrote:
          >> My purpose in raising the issue was to discuss the Jewish belief
          >> in an afterlife and if Jesus' views as set out were His or His
          >> followers. Thought it an obvious segue.
          >
          >Somehow I lost the relevence between Einsteinian space and Jesus'
          >resurrection, particularly since we have to deal with the perceptions
          >of the cosmos in the 1st century. Was Jesus' view of heaven as
          >"up" and hell "down?" How does his malkutha d'alaha conform to
          >characterizations of heaven? Paradise? What do the DSS tell us
          >about this perception, at least among the DSS community?
          >
          >Jack

          Jack, Paradise is a Persian term for the garden of the
          Shahinshah. As best I can tell the Pharasaic view of
          an after life was rare among the Scrolls. The reanalysis
          of the deposit of the Scrolls as just before the advent
          of Pompey means rereading the texts with different eyes.

          I'm only faintly catching on to the nuances the above
          suggests, but from what I know, the Pharisees were the
          ones taking a view of life after death remotely near to
          what is taken today. Apocalyptic views, plentiful in
          the Scrolls, with God Himself providing an immediate
          and final solution may be what was being developed when
          Rome took the Messianic claims of Jesus as sedition and
          made the punishment fit the crime.

          Does that not change the water on the beans? Any who
          have widely read the lastest Scroll data please take
          this Prometheus off his rock.

          >Jack Kilmon
          >jkilmon@...

          With respect,

          Tom Simms
        • Tom Simms
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2000
            On Mon, 01 May 2000 16:17:22 -0500, jkilmon@... writes:
            >Tom Simms wrote:

            [... Snip ...]

            >There is a hundred year period that I call the "wake of the Seleucids"
            >between the Maccabean revolt and the Roman/Herodian period that
            >seems to play a great role in the construction of the background for
            >the Pharisees, the DSS Community and the Jesus Movement. Increased
            >nationalism and backlash to the Seleucids promulgated intensified
            >messianic interest and the Daniel/Enochian literature. I think the
            >slate was such that if Yeshua bar Yosef/Jesus of Nazareth would not
            >have come along, someone else would....perhaps JB..if fortunes would
            >have been different. Can a single swing of an executioner's axe or
            >the setting of a crucifixion spike change the course of history?
            >Sure it can. The DSS, therefore, give us the background.
            >
            >Jack

            Ah..."wake of the Seleucids" What Alexander hath
            wrought? ...splendid. Now tell us where you learn
            about this time, texts from after Qumran?

            BTW, doesn't the Titulus at Basilica Santa Croce read,
            "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews" in Aramaic,
            Greek and Latin ?

            Thanks for the lead,

            Tom