Re: [XTalk] Re: flat universe

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2000
      RSBrenchley@... wrote:

      > Tom Simms writes:
      >
      > << Now that today we read that science says the universe is flat,
      > not curved, all questions re resurrection must now be reexamined. >>
      >
      > I've just returned from a weekend conference on science and theology, and I
      > find myself puzzled. It's a pity there isn't (yet) a site for the discussion
      > of points like this; I shall be arguing for the creation of one. The
      > discussion doesn't clarify the point, and we could probably do with some
      > input from the odd cosmologist. My own background (from many years ago) was
      > in biological and earth sciences, so I can't help much. Meanwhile, can this
      > be unpacked a bit, please? What's the connection?

      Although it is an interesting topic, its grip on an issue related to
      studies of the HJ is tenuous at best and decidedly, imo, off topic
      for the forum.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net

      sharing a meal for free.
      http://www.thehungersite.com/
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2000
        Tom Simms wrote:

        > On Mon, 01 May 2000 08:29:15 -0700, jkilmon@... writes:
        > >

        > >RSBrenchley@... wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Tom Simms writes:
        > >>
        > >> << Now that today we read that science says the universe is flat,
        > >> not curved, all questions re resurrection must now be reexamined. >>
        > >>
        > >> I've just returned from a weekend conference on science and theology, and I
        > >> find myself puzzled. It's a pity there isn't (yet) a site for the discussion
        > >> of points like this; I shall be arguing for the creation of one. The
        > >> discussion doesn't clarify the point, and we could probably do with some
        > >> input from the odd cosmologist. My own background (from many years ago) was
        > >> in biological and earth sciences, so I can't help much. Meanwhile, can this
        > >> be unpacked a bit, please? What's the connection?
        > >
        > >Although it is an interesting topic, its grip on an issue related to
        > >studies of the HJ is tenuous at best and decidedly, imo, off topic
        > >for the forum.
        > >
        > >Jack
        > >
        > Jack
        >
        > My purpose in raising the issue was to discuss the Jewish belief
        > in an afterlife and if Jesus' views as set out were His or His
        > followers. Thought it an obvious segue.

        Somehow I lost the relevence between Einsteinian space and Jesus'
        resurrection, particularly since we have to deal with the perceptions
        of the cosmos in the 1st century. Was Jesus' view of heaven as
        "up" and hell "down?" How does his malkutha d'alaha conform to
        characterizations of heaven? Paradise? What do the DSS tell us
        about this perception, at least among the DSS community?

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net

        sharing a meal for free.
        http://www.thehungersite.com/
      • Tom Simms
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2000
          On Mon, 01 May 2000 08:29:15 -0700, jkilmon@... writes:

          >RSBrenchley@... wrote:
          >>
          >> Tom Simms writes:
          >>
          >> << Now that today we read that science says the universe is flat,
          >> not curved, all questions re resurrection must now be reexamined. >>
          >>
          >> I've just returned from a weekend conference on science and theology, and I
          >> find myself puzzled. It's a pity there isn't (yet) a site for the discussion
          >> of points like this; I shall be arguing for the creation of one. The
          >> discussion doesn't clarify the point, and we could probably do with some
          >> input from the odd cosmologist. My own background (from many years ago) was
          >> in biological and earth sciences, so I can't help much. Meanwhile, can this
          >> be unpacked a bit, please? What's the connection?
          >
          >Although it is an interesting topic, its grip on an issue related to
          >studies of the HJ is tenuous at best and decidedly, imo, off topic
          >for the forum.
          >
          >Jack

          Jack

          My purpose in raising the issue was to discuss the Jewish belief
          in an afterlife and if Jesus' views as set out were His or His
          followers. Thought it an obvious segue.

          Tom

          >taybutheh d'maran yeshua masheecha am kulkon
          >
          >Jack Kilmon
          >jkilmon@...
          >
          >http://www.historian.net
          >
          >sharing a meal for free.
          >http://www.thehungersite.com/

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2000
            Tom Simms wrote:

            > >Somehow I lost the relevence between Einsteinian space and Jesus'
            > >resurrection, particularly since we have to deal with the perceptions
            > >of the cosmos in the 1st century. Was Jesus' view of heaven as
            > >"up" and hell "down?" How does his malkutha d'alaha conform to
            > >characterizations of heaven? Paradise? What do the DSS tell us
            > >about this perception, at least among the DSS community?
            > >
            > >Jack
            >
            > Jack, Paradise is a Persian term for the garden of the
            > Shahinshah. As best I can tell the Pharasaic view of
            > an after life was rare among the Scrolls. The reanalysis
            > of the deposit of the Scrolls as just before the advent
            > of Pompey means rereading the texts with different eyes.
            >
            > I'm only faintly catching on to the nuances the above
            > suggests, but from what I know, the Pharisees were the
            > ones taking a view of life after death remotely near to
            > what is taken today. Apocalyptic views, plentiful in
            > the Scrolls, with God Himself providing an immediate
            > and final solution may be what was being developed when
            > Rome took the Messianic claims of Jesus as sedition and
            > made the punishment fit the crime.
            >
            > Does that not change the water on the beans? Any who
            > have widely read the lastest Scroll data please take
            > this Prometheus off his rock.

            There is a hundred year period that I call the "wake of the Seleucids"
            between the Maccabean revolt and the Roman/Herodian period that
            seems to play a great role in the construction of the background for
            the Pharisees, the DSS Community and the Jesus Movement. Increased
            nationalism and backlash to the Seleucids promulgated intensified
            messianic interest and the Daniel/Enochian literature. I think the
            slate was such that if Yeshua bar Yosef/Jesus of Nazareth would not
            have come along, someone else would....perhaps JB..if fortunes would
            have been different. Can a single swing of an executioner's axe or
            the setting of a crucifixion spike change the course of history?
            Sure it can. The DSS, therefore, give us the background.

            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            jkilmon@...

            http://www.historian.net

            sharing a meal for free.
            http://www.thehungersite.com/
          • Tom Simms
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2000
              On Mon, 01 May 2000 11:50:23 -0500, jkilmon@... writes:>
              >Tom Simms wrote:
              >> My purpose in raising the issue was to discuss the Jewish belief
              >> in an afterlife and if Jesus' views as set out were His or His
              >> followers. Thought it an obvious segue.
              >
              >Somehow I lost the relevence between Einsteinian space and Jesus'
              >resurrection, particularly since we have to deal with the perceptions
              >of the cosmos in the 1st century. Was Jesus' view of heaven as
              >"up" and hell "down?" How does his malkutha d'alaha conform to
              >characterizations of heaven? Paradise? What do the DSS tell us
              >about this perception, at least among the DSS community?
              >
              >Jack

              Jack, Paradise is a Persian term for the garden of the
              Shahinshah. As best I can tell the Pharasaic view of
              an after life was rare among the Scrolls. The reanalysis
              of the deposit of the Scrolls as just before the advent
              of Pompey means rereading the texts with different eyes.

              I'm only faintly catching on to the nuances the above
              suggests, but from what I know, the Pharisees were the
              ones taking a view of life after death remotely near to
              what is taken today. Apocalyptic views, plentiful in
              the Scrolls, with God Himself providing an immediate
              and final solution may be what was being developed when
              Rome took the Messianic claims of Jesus as sedition and
              made the punishment fit the crime.

              Does that not change the water on the beans? Any who
              have widely read the lastest Scroll data please take
              this Prometheus off his rock.

              >Jack Kilmon
              >jkilmon@...

              With respect,

              Tom Simms
            • Tom Simms
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2000
                On Mon, 01 May 2000 16:17:22 -0500, jkilmon@... writes:
                >Tom Simms wrote:

                [... Snip ...]

                >There is a hundred year period that I call the "wake of the Seleucids"
                >between the Maccabean revolt and the Roman/Herodian period that
                >seems to play a great role in the construction of the background for
                >the Pharisees, the DSS Community and the Jesus Movement. Increased
                >nationalism and backlash to the Seleucids promulgated intensified
                >messianic interest and the Daniel/Enochian literature. I think the
                >slate was such that if Yeshua bar Yosef/Jesus of Nazareth would not
                >have come along, someone else would....perhaps JB..if fortunes would
                >have been different. Can a single swing of an executioner's axe or
                >the setting of a crucifixion spike change the course of history?
                >Sure it can. The DSS, therefore, give us the background.
                >
                >Jack

                Ah..."wake of the Seleucids" What Alexander hath
                wrought? ...splendid. Now tell us where you learn
                about this time, texts from after Qumran?

                BTW, doesn't the Titulus at Basilica Santa Croce read,
                "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews" in Aramaic,
                Greek and Latin ?

                Thanks for the lead,

                Tom