Re: Wright's Jesus (Myers)

  • Antonio Jerez
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2000
      Mahlon Smith wrote:

      > Historical theology does not presuppose the existence of God or any
      > other metaphysical backdrop. It simply presupposes that different people
      > have different theologies & because each mind considers its view of God
      > to be correct & absolute, each person projects that presupposition in
      > interpreting the sayings/actions of other people. Unless one keeps the
      > voices & theologies straight one is going to miss the really distinctive
      > contributions of each voice to the historical evolution of theological
      > ideas & to confuse HJ with the views of his disciples.
      >
      > Shalom!
      >
      > Mahlon

      Mahlon,

      I do not think that we are in disagreement. The problem appears to be that
      ÿou overlooked a small paragraph in my message. I wrote:
      "What is of use to historians is usually a good grasp of the history of ideas
      (AMONG WHICH ARE THEOLOGICAL IDEAS).
      As you point out it certainly helps to know which ideas about God were in
      vogue in the first century if you are going to study HJ.

      Best wishes

      Antonio Jerez