Re: [XTalk] intro books on early Christianity]

  • Rick Hubbard
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2000
      To this list of books I would like to recommend a forthcoming title
      called *Remedial Christianity* by Paul Laughlin. It will be published
      by Polebridge Press in a matter of a few weeks (or perhaps days?). I've
      read the galley proofs and am confident that this work will be
      extraordinarily useful for introductory courses, especially if used in
      conjunction with a collection of primary texts.

      Laughlin has successfully distilled many of the central pre-suppositions
      that were the foundations for the development of Christianity into
      manageable and comprehensible units that serve a instructive points of
      departure for understanding the development of Christianity. Moreover,
      he has also succeeded in placing the disjunctive "Now-As-Then" in proper
      perspective to the opposite, "Now-And-Then."

      I'm looking forward to seeing other recommendations of introductory
      works, especially those that would be appropriate for use in public
      secondary schools.

      Rick Hubbard
      Howland, ME