Markan Hermeneutics

  • Philip B. Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2000

      In Mk.4.13 the author tells us that Jesus, responding to a question from the 12 (vs.10)said:

      "Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand

      all the parables? PASAS TAS PARABOLAS

      There follows an allegorization of the Parable of the Soils.

      Obviously, (to me) the author is giving an insturction to the audience hearing the admoniton, not to historical disciples.

      Does PASAS TAS PARABOLAS

      refer *only* to the Soils and the following Parable of Growth and Parable of the Mustard Seed? Or to *all* the parables in the Gospel? Would the admonition also include the acts of deliverance in Mk.5? Retroactively, would it include the content of Chs.2 and 3?

      Is the author giving a clue to interpreting the entire Gospel in its performance?

      I'd appreciate thoughtful comments on my questions.

      Philip B. Lewis HR, Presbytery of Plains & Peaks

      Cottonwood, AZ