The Rule of Jesus in the World/Age to Come

  • George Brooks
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2000
      I've always been comfortable with the idea that Jesus
      was EXPECTING a New Kingdom, and that the new kingdom
      (or empire) would have him as its ruler. Only by fulfilling
      humanity's side of the contract with God could he bring
      this new "rule" to Earth.... so he had to suffer. If it
      had not been for a sceptical Roman soldier making sure
      Jesus was a dead man, I don't see why his plan was
      more foolhardy than zealous.

      As far as the new kingdom goes, the Encyclopedia Britannia
      has a very interesting entry on Philo of Alexandria that
      touches on what might have been Jesus' world view:

      "In anticipation of Christian doctrine he called the
      Logos the first-begotten Son of God, the man of God,
      the image of God, and second to God...."

      "...In his political theory Philo often said that the best form
      of government is democracy; but for him democracy was far from
      mob rule, which he denounced as the worst of polities, perhaps
      because he saw the Alexandrian mob in action. For Philo
      democracy meant not a particular form of government but due
      order under any form of government in which all men are equal
      before the law. From this point of view, the Mosaic
      constitution, which embodies the best elements of all forms
      of government, is the ideal. Indeed, the ultimate goal of
      history is that the whole world be a single state under a
      democratic constitution."

      Is it too novel to think that Jesus and Philo spoke and
      thought with the same terms and concepts?

      George Brooks
      Tampa, FL