Re: [XTalk] HJ & Pesach

  • Philip B. Lewis
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2000
      Brian: You've raised some interesting questions. Presumably HJ, if a
      Galilean Jew, did observe Pesach. But whether it was according to the
      current Seder is a REAL intersting question. A few years ago when Israel
      and Egypt were negotiating a peace settlement the Jewish association
      representing 5,000 rabbis in USA dropped references to Egypt in the
      'Aggadah. It strikes me that Judaism has always been able to "roll with the
      punch" making such adaptations as were necessary. That is one of its
      strengths.

      Connected with your questions about the Seder form is one as to the extent
      of Torah reverence and observance in the whole of 1st century Judaism.
      Paul's admonition in re meat offered to idols would seem to indicate that
      *some* Diaspora Jews were not rigidly observant, for we cannot assume that
      everyone in Corinth church was Gentile, can we? And Alexandrian Jews appear
      to have been varied in their degrees of observance, too. (I just throw that
      in because we are terribly inclined to "type" 1st c. Judaism.) Under
      Rabbinic readjustment to a Temple-less situation I think Torah became the
      central focus of observance in a way that it had never been in the past,
      else why Pharisaic insistence on levitical forms?.

      Glad you opened this can of worms. Don't know whether anyone has a straight
      answer. Some "elements" of Pesach observance have apparently been added -
      the egg, for example.

      Philip Lewis

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2000
        On 17 Apr 00, at 13:09, Philip B. Lewis wrote:

        > Brian: You've raised some interesting questions. Presumably HJ, if a
        > Galilean Jew, did observe Pesach. But whether it was according to the
        > current Seder is a REAL intersting question. A few years ago when
        > Israel and Egypt were negotiating a peace settlement the Jewish
        > association representing 5,000 rabbis in USA dropped references to
        > Egypt in the 'Aggadah.

        To the best of my knowledge, neither the Orthodox not the Conservative
        rabbinical associations have made such a change in the Haggadah, nor do
        I think it likely that they would. The Central Conference of American
        Rabbis (Reform) and the Rabbinical Assembly (Conservative) to the best
        of my knowledge claim only 300 members between them.

        > Connected with your questions about the Seder form is one as to the
        > extent of Torah reverence and observance in the whole of 1st century
        > Judaism. Paul's admonition in re meat offered to idols would seem to
        > indicate that *some* Diaspora Jews were not rigidly observant, for we
        > cannot assume that everyone in Corinth church was Gentile, can we?

        Was not that discussion in the context of requirements to be applied to
        new Gentile converts to the movement, rather than the requirements
        applicalbe to Jewish members?

        Lewis Reich
      • Lewis Reich
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2000
          On 17 Apr 00, at 18:49, I wrote:

          > The Central Conference of American Rabbis (Reform) and the
          > Rabbinical Assembly (Conservative) to the best of my knowledge
          > claim only 300 members between them.

          Please excuse my typo; that should have read 3000.

          Lewis Reich