Collegia & Literary Devices as Protection

  • Brian Tucker
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2000
      Greetings

      Was early Christianity considered illicita at Paul's hearing before
      Caesar? It would have to be if Nero 64 could occur? But not before
      Gallio? Based on what we know from (Against Flaccus 67; Annals 15:44;
      Letters 10:96; 1 Clement 6:1) what is the best historical
      reconstruction of how this transition occurred? Also, if the early
      Christians could associate as part of 'Voluntary Associations' such
      as: professional, burial or household, isn't this whole illicita
      issue
      moot? What would stop Christians from continuing their voluntary
      association rights? (collegia)

      The above questions came from reading the past posts (except
      collegia)
      on this topic from September 99. I have added them to my current
      thoughts because I wanted to get some clarity on other issues.

      Do the Gospel writers, especially Luke-Acts attempt to present
      Christianity in a way that is palatable to the Romans? I am looking
      for examples, if you have any. Would it be beneficial for Luke to
      present early Christianity in a close connection to Judaism? It seems
      his choice of certain literary foils are attempting to buttress the
      religious sensibilities of the Romans and to assure the protection of
      this fledgling movement.

      So, did collegia and the production of heros that were part of
      Judaism, or connected with Judaism offer protection to the fledgling
      movement?

      Sources:
      Kloppenborg, John and Stephen Wilson, eds. Voluntary Associations,
      London: Routledge, 1996.

      Ste. Croix, G.E.M. de. 'Why Were The Early Christians Persecuted?'
      Past and Present 26 (1963): 6-38.

      Thanks
      Brian Tucker
      Riverview, MI