RE: [XTalk] The Rule that is "at hand"

  • Brooks, George X
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000
      Brian McCarthy writes:
      > Given the 'constraints of occasional communication' under which Jesus
      > worked, I don't think he could have used the term 'malkut', or whatever
      > the
      > Aramaic is, if it had been defined [italics!] as Empire--oppressive
      > exercise
      > of brute power--for the general run of Galileans, and been in need of
      > being
      > "completely redefined" to match Jesus' message.
      The Dead Sea Scrolls might have a clue as to why the N.T. emphasis on the
      term "Kingdom". In the DSS we encounter the phrase "Community of God"
      or "Yahad of God". And this community was managed by a "democracy" of
      sorts. This would be a primitive kind of democracy, in some ways similar to
      the primitive nature of democracy in early America. Before the present age,
      Americans elected Congressmen, and Presidential Electors. The Congressmen
      would elect the Senators for their State, and the Presidential Electors
      would elect
      the President of the Nation. Not very democratic by today's standards, but
      a democracy of one form or another to be sure (considering the alternatives
      in even the late 1700's).

      In the DSS communities, there were whole assemblies that made legislative
      and judicial decisions. While obviously there were leaders who had their
      share of autocratic powers, there was obviously no "King" within the
      community, and there was a strong "commune" ethic.

      What if Jesus, who may or may not have been influenced by the "ethics"
      of the DSS community (or communities), was not looking to create a
      "Community" of peers.... what if he felt that sometimes the "democratic"
      process was too crude or too subject to the whims of "flesh"? What if
      he consciously began to design his "commune" movement to take
      advantage of one of his family's most important attritubutes?: their
      or his descent from the King of David?

      The DSS communities might seek a "**COMMUNITY** of God" but Jesus
      would build a "**KING**dom of God" - - under his authority, with assistance
      from the 12 episcopates/officers, and leaders elected locally (as in most
      ancient municipalities) within his Kingdom. Only with the firm and
      beneficent hand of a King of David, would the chaos of
      human society finally achieve its full measure.

      Just a thought....

      George Brooks
      Tampa, FL