The Physical Appearance of HJ

  • Rick Hubbard
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 1969
      While the discussion about the physical characteristics of HJ are
      thought provoking, if not intriguing, it is unlikely that a definitive
      conclusion can ever be reached. At this juncture, it appears that two
      options are favored- a Jesus who is "Nordic" or one who is not.

      My personal vision is of a Jesus who more closely resembles a young
      Yasser Arafat rather than Max von Sydow (or any other aryan). My
      preference of course counts for nothing. It would, however, be an
      interesting exercise to see "who thinks what" about HJ's physical
      appearance. Perhaps all list subscribers should vote for their
      preference of a choice between "Arafat" or "von Sydow" using the Red,
      Pink, Gray or Black system.

      That would certainly be no less productive that the current range of
      speculation winding its way through this thread.
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2000
        An interesting article by Richard Bauckham in the most recent Bible
        Review is on-line at:

        http://www.bib-arch.org/br400/family1.html
        "All in the Family: Identifying Jesus' Relatives"

        Essentially it's a well written, popular introduction to Bauckham's
        fascinating research on Jesus' family found in particular in his _Jude
        and the Relatives of Jesus in the Early Church_.

        As ever, the shameless plug -- this a link on the latest update to my
        NT Gateway (http://www.ntgateway.com).

        Mark
        --------------------------------------
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        The New Testament Gateway
        All-in-One Biblical Resources Search
        Mark Without Q
        Aseneth Home Page
      • Willi Braun
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2000
          I apologize if I herewith transgress the protocol of the list. Below is a
          position ad that may be of interest.

          Willi Braun
          University of Alberta

          ______________________________________

          Position in Early Christianity

          The Department of Religion at Bishop's University invites applications for
          the Nancy and William Turner Chair in Christianity. This is a tenure track
          position. Applicants should have primary expertise in early Christianity,
          including the New Testament and other early Christian writings. In addition
          to these areas, teaching responsibilities include courses in women and
          religion, religions and cultures of the ancient Mediterranean world,
          methodology of the academic study of religion, and introductory survey
          courses in world religions. Applicants should have a completed Ph.D and
          demonstrated teaching and research abilities. As an equal opportunity
          employer, we encourage applications from all qualified women and men. The
          closing date for applications is June 15, 2000. Applicants should send
          their curriculum vitae and letters of reference to: Jonathan Rittenhouse,
          Dean of Humanities, Bishop's University, Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada J1M
          1Z7; email: jrittenh@....

          _____________________________________
        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2000
            A couple of web resources may be of interest to the list:

            The Search for Jesus
            http://www.beliefnet.com/features/searchforjesus/overview.asp

            This web site is apparently designed to accompany a forthcoming
            American television programme featuring scholars like Crossan, Borg,
            Fredriksen, Wright, Funk. The web site has some nice bite-size
            quotations from all of them and the opportunity, it seems, to ask them
            questions from around this time next week.

            Also, I've added to my NT Gateway Prof. Crossan's edited archive
            of the recent Xtalk-sponsored "Historical Jesus Materials and
            Methodology" on-line seminar. It's uploaded in both MS Word and
            HTML formats. Looking through it today I noticed several typos and
            errors and I intend to work on it a bit to clean it up. I'd be grateful for
            any lists of typos etc. that others spot. For this and other resources,
            including some fresh articles, see:

            The New Testament Gateway: Historical Jesus
            http://www.ntgateway.com/Jesus.htm

            Mark
            Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
            University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
            Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

            http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
            Homepage
            http://www.ntgateway.com