[XTalk] Re: [Synoptic-L] The Miracle Maker

  • Brian McCarthy
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2000
      Mark, Sukie, everybody,

      Mark, I should have put in a brief word about being pleased that we are
      being presented with a non Nordic Jesus in this new film, which I will look
      out for.

      And I hope you did not read my response as mere bickering.

      For years I have wondered a) what Jesus looked like b) what sort of music
      and song he and the disciples might have known or sung.

      And i have often thought that he probably looked more like a Palestinian
      than like many contemporary Israeli Jews. But other Israeli Jews also look
      quite like many Palestinians.

      Recently I have become aware of how problematic the term 'Jew'--I mean the
      Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew etc equivalents--were as regards their reference in
      Jesus' time, and so hoped to stir an interesting discussion about that.
      Which was getting far away from your original point.

      You probably heard about the choice of a representation of Jesus made a
      little while back by the NCR--Natioanl Catholic Reporter. It certainly was
      not North European--which, I assume, was the reason it was chosen, but it
      wasn't particularly Med. or Semitic either. Perhaps slightly Ethiopian,
      Sukie?

      Thanks again for the reference to the film.

      Brian McCarthy, Madison WI

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 7:41 AM
        Brian McCarthy wrote:

        "Recently I have become aware of how problematic the term 'Jew'--I
        mean the
        > Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew etc equivalents--were as regards their reference in
        > Jesus' time, and so hoped to stir an interesting discussion about that.
        > Which was getting far away from your original point."

        I am very intrigued by your raising the issue of the term "Jew" and its
        usage
        during the time of Jesus. I have become fascinated by the unusual ways this
        term has been used, to the point where I have almost starting writing
        "Judaoi"
        in my personal notes, instead of Jew. The term Jew, to the ear of the
        modern
        audience, is too quick to mean it in "ethnic" terms, instead of purely
        religios
        ones.

        Even in the New Testament, there seems to be a sound use of other terms
        to refer to the "ethnic" "Jewish" population in Palestine: "a son of
        Israel",
        references to the seed of Abraham, and the like. But sometimes I hear a
        sub-text "echo" with some uses of the word "Jew/Judaoi" which seems to be
        purely in contrast with the "Am Haretz".... something akin to - - if you are
        a Sadduccee, Scribe, Pharisee, or Essene, THEN you are a "Jew". Otherwise,
        you are just a resident in Palestine, of the Am Haretz, a "sinner", or what
        have
        you.

        I started thinking along these lines while studying the Maccabees in
        conjunction
        with some DSS scrolls. Mentions were frequently made to the House of
        Judah.
        And conventionally we have all been taught to understand this to mean the
        remnant
        from the Babylonian captivity, which included not just Judah-ites, but also
        Levites,
        and Benjamin-ites.

        But then the time of the Maccabees arrives. And Judah becomes a national
        hero.
        And The Law and Purity and "ethnic/spiritual" solidarity becomes paramount
        in
        the land. Maccabeean hit squads seem to systematically "silence" (execute)
        those who collaborate with the Greeks, and perhaps even to impose a
        "circumcise
        or die" mentality on outlying communities. Almost as if to say, "if you are
        not 'of
        Judah' you are, by definition, a 'sinner'."

        In the DSS materials we read "House of Judah".... as well as "House of
        Absalom".
        Sure, these could be symbolic references. But what if House of Absalom
        REALLY
        DOES refer to the clan or followers of Absalom, which is a personal name in
        current usage in the literature at that time.

        And considering the heroic status of Judah, with brothers that continue his
        work
        for decades, perhaps ... just maybe.... House of Judah is a specific
        reference to the
        followers of Judah's "school" and "covert militia" driving the Greeks out of
        the
        land. And those who are so "zealous" are "of Judah", Judah-ites, whether
        they
        are Levites, or Benjaminites, or even converting gentiles.

        This is conceivable because through decades of resistance, Judah and the
        brothers
        of Judah have DEFINITELY had the opportunity to put their "family stamp" on
        all the religious politics of Jerusalem - - the post of highest military
        leader and the
        most of High Priest all belongs to the family. Appointments within the
        temple
        hierarchy are being made by a "family business" for a generation.

        And, with complete predictability, once the victories have been won, and
        Jewish independence has been secure, the schisms and divisions emerge within
        this "School or House of Judah". The emergence of the Sadducees with their
        interests, countered by the less elite, but more numerous Pharisees. They
        all
        emerge out of this "possible" House of Judah tradition. They are ALL
        Judah-ites,
        even if they are now called Sadducees, Scribes and Pharisees.

        And those "of the land", the Am Haretz, who never signed-on zealously
        to the Judah-ite agenda, and just tried to stay out of trouble, they are
        "sinners"
        from the point of view of the men and families of men who risked their life
        and blood for the sake of God's Temple, and God's chosen.

        Granted, this is a huge amount of speculation. And I accept this criticism.
        But I thought I would paint a mural of a particular depiction of what might
        have
        going on with "the Jews" (the Judaoi, or Judah-ites), and let people who are
        so inclined blast huge holes in the worst part of the mural.

        Then I can start again with a better canvas.

        Thanks!

        George Brooks
        Tampa, FL