[XTalk] A Question about the phrase "AT HAND"

  • Brooks, George X
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2000
      Since there seems to be a number of open questions
      out on Crosstalk right now, I thought I would ask one
      of my own:

      I have read conflicting views on how to interpret
      the use of the phrase "at hand" - as in the Kingdom
      of God is at hand.

      While the phrase makes it sound like the Kingdom
      "is coming but hasn't quite arrived yet", if I look at
      the actual events being used with the phrase, it would
      seem that "at hand" is the equivalent to "is here."

      1) Is there a general consensus in the JS or Crosstalk
      communities about which meaning is the more
      reliable? [ At Hand = "is coming" vs. "is here" ]

      2) Does the phrase "at hand" contribute to the question
      of which gospel was written first, and how Q might
      fit in? The sense of this question is whether or not
      a particular writer displays a pattern for how the
      phrase "at hand" is used.

      If you feel you have some useful insights into one or
      both of these questions, please feel free to respond
      via the Crosstalk list or OFFLIST.

      Thanks!

      George Brooks
      Tampa, FL