[XTalk] Re: [HJMatMeth] Methodological prerequisites

  • William E. Arnal
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2000
      On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Mark Goodacre wrote:

      > context (Luke 22). But whether or not Matthew has the more
      > original wording, all are agreed that Q here has an important
      > witness to the tradition of Jesus' disciples in some way connected
      > with the theme of the twelve tribes.

      Not so, except in the vaguest way. If the Lukan wording is
      original, there are no particular disciples in mind -- only
      the general followers of Jesus, i.e., the Q people
      themselves. If that's all you're saying -- i.e., that an
      undifferentiated mass of those loyal to Jesus is associated
      with the JUDGEMENT of the 12 tribes, fair enough. If you're
      point is more precise than this, though, I don't think it
      can be supported EXCEPT by appealing to the Matthean wording
      as original.

      Bill
      William E. Arnal e-mail: wea1@...
      Religious Studies/Classics Check out my web page, at:
      New York University http://pages.nyu.edu/~wea1/
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
        On 29 Feb 00, at 22:43, William E. Arnal wrote:

        > On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Mark Goodacre wrote:
        >
        > > context (Luke 22). But whether or not Matthew has the more
        > > original wording, all are agreed that Q here has an important
        > > witness to the tradition of Jesus' disciples in some way
        > > connected with the theme of the twelve tribes.
        >
        > Not so, except in the vaguest way. If the Lukan wording is
        > original, there are no particular disciples in mind -- only
        > the general followers of Jesus, i.e., the Q people
        > themselves. If that's all you're saying -- i.e., that an
        > undifferentiated mass of those loyal to Jesus is associated
        > with the JUDGEMENT of the 12 tribes, fair enough. If you're
        > point is more precise than this, though, I don't think it
        > can be supported EXCEPT by appealing to the Matthean wording as
        > original.

        Thanks for the correction. What I said was not well worded. It
        is not a case of "all are agreed" so let's substitute "a strong
        case can be and sometimes is made for . . . ". As elements
        in such a case I would want to point to (a) the likelihood that
        the Lukan wording is secondary on the basis of the Judas-
        intensive context (as in my previous email) and (b) the fact
        that both Matthew (19.28) and Luke (22.28) agree on the
        addressees of the saying, "you . . . who" = the twelve.

        Mark
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        The New Testament Gateway
        All-in-One Biblical Resources Search