[XTalk] Theological Reaction

  • Philip B. Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2000
      Tom Kopacek commented on his assessment of Luedeman's _Heretics_:

      Mahlon
      and Phillip surely will correct me if they think I am wrong about this.

      No, I think you are stating the case fairly.  That's why I gave my posting the subject title.  On the 4th hand (we might wind up with an Octopus!) I feel Luedemann was feeling stifled by what he considered to be German theological straightjackets after his experience at Vanderbilt - indeed, he said so boldly.  He was reacting in something of the same way that Borg was reacting against the credal strictures he felt in the church of his upbringing.  He, too, said so plainly.

      I guess that's the route many of us take; we feel compelled to justify our launching forth on ubcharted waters.  Now me?  Well, I am placidly retired, feeling no restrictions in what I find valid.  Hence, I enjoyed Luedemann and am of the opinion that many would find him stimulating - even to the point of agreeing/disagreeing with him.  Mahlon will have to speak for himself.

      Philip B. Lewis, HR
      Presbytery of Plains and Peaks